What to do about questions with outdated answers?
At https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/7/how-do-i-see-the-history-for-my-area we saw a problem: the question is still current, but the answers are (slightly) outdated. Most importantly, the "accepted" answer is outdated. What to do about it? In my opinion that's a software issue. Featuring the "accepted" answer may make sense for current questions, but for older questions the top answer should be based on some age-discounted vote sum. Is this software feature request existing already at the devs' side?
So, which workarounds do we have?
- A) Closing questions? Does not help. The questions are still linked and can be found through the search. Furthermore newer answers cannot be added anymore
- B) Adding new, more current answers? Nice, but the older answers may have a big vote sum accumulated already (hard to reach) and the "accepted" answer stays the old one. ... unless: the question owner gets active again, OR moderators choose a new "accepted" answer. Not that nice, because only moderators are able to solve the problem, not the big community (as it should be).
- C) adding a date to a question title. Well, only some users have the rights to do this, and the questions stay linked (old links) and the search still returns this question.
Another ugly example https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/48/can-i-use-these-maps-on-my-website --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 20:39, 26 April 2016 (UTC)
Migration QSQA -> ASKBOT
SimonPoole wrote me a private message informing me (thank you!) about his suggestion to migrate QSQA -> ASKBOT and with a link to https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/149 . --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 20:04, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- However, I will not comment on github - it needs an external account from this company. A short comment from me:
- Sounds quite good for me. However, if we are migrating to anywhere we rather should think about how to solve the issue of outdated answers. Just deleting the whole thing every 7 years is a waste. There ARE many still good answers (yes, also much irrelevant or even wrong answers nowadays) and I try to take care of them (updating, organizing) as good as possible. I also would like to have incoming link not to be broken if possible (yes, setting it up as static html clone might work). Regarding the "outdated" problem, also see the section above. Regarding possible Karma flattening: that is likely no problem. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 20:04, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- An update by Simon: If no replacement/migration is found/made this could lead to "by the May 25th  we will very likely be removing the site without a replacement." (SimonPoole) See comment and mailing list link at https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/56190/changing-screen-name-to-match-osm-username --aseerel4c26 (talk) 20:05, 2 March 2018 (UTC)