Talk:Karlsruhe Mapping Party
It is great to see another German Mapping Weekend announced.
But wouldn't it make sense to pick a city/town that is not as perfectly mapped as Karlsruhe? Isn't there anything nearby that needs some mapping?
RalfZ 21:42, 7 February 2007 (UTC)
- We are organizing this mapping weekend because we live in Karlsruhe and want to improve OSM data for it. And, believe me, there is still much to be done for Karlsruhe. If you think some other area needs a mapping party then organize it. Thats the way OSM works: Everybody does what he or she is interested in. Also I do think that it makes sense to have some areas with really good coverage because they can be used as "poster childs" when promoting OSM outside the community. Joto 09:38, 8 February 2007 (UTC)
- I organized the mapping weekend in Munich last October and I am thinking about organizing another for a different region this spring. When planning the mapping weekend for Munich, my focus was to find an area that is important and well known but not yet covered by OSM. And in October, the inner city of Munich was almost not existing in OSM, so that is why I chose that location.
- With the current status of OSM in Germany, I think it makes sense to go for wider coverage first. More detail can be created later. However, of course other people can have different opinions and intentions. I understand your aim of making Karlsruhe a good example of detailed mapping. Maybe it would be beneficial to note this intention on the planning page so that others know what the plan is.
- I myself will plan the next mapping weekend in the Munich area again in an area where OSM has no or very little data.
- Depending on my private time schedule, I might join your mapping weekend anyway. It is always nice to meet other OSM users face-to-face.
- RalfZ 12:27, 8 February 2007 (UTC)