Talk:Map Charges/GB

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Discuss Map Charges/GB here:

Other services?

Has anyone asked any other services, apart from the local council? I know that Police forces also pay for OS data under the MSA (Mapping Services Agreement), so I would suggest adding :

  • Police Forces
  • Fire Services
  • Ambulance (NHS trusts?)

Since all of these are separately funded, also by taxation, these should be added to the overall cost per person. -- Renoir 13:30 29 April 2008

I'd agree... my local Blood Donor centre, for example, is changing address - and they recently sent out a non-free map to all regular donors. I'll write to them. --Flint 12:22, 17 October 2008 (UTC)

Publishing their reply

If I want to publish their reply to me, do I need to state this when I request the info? or should I as a matter of courtesy --Jammeh 18:29, 27 March 2007 (BST)

Local Councils from the inside

I am currently stationed for a few months at a London Borough council offices. I can see that they are indeed using a lot maps and GIS systems, for various aspects of their work. Unfortunately I'm not working on anything GIS related at the moment.

I could go and harass people about why they pay so much money to ordance survey, but I want to keep my job :-)

I was having some firewall issues. I think the overzealous council firewall was blocking the javascript needed for the slippy map for some reason. Not sure which end changed, but that seems to be all fixed now.

-- Harry Wood 10:05, 11 May 2007 (BST)

Yours faithfully?

It should end "Yours faithfully" not "Yours sincerely"... I think. I don't really know. I had to look it up -- Harry Wood 11:44, 29 April 2008 (UTC)

Yep, it should.--Thomas Wood 19:57, 30 April 2008 (UTC)

Freedom of information act, European or Specific British/English law?

In what country/countries does the "freedom of information act" apply? Logictheo 21:09, 4 September 2008 (UTC)

Should we tell them why we're asking?

We're asking the question because licensing maps is a costly business, and the burden falls to the taxpayer for funding. But, rather than just asking councils how much they spend, I wonder if we should be taking the opportunity to tell them:

  • the reason why we ask how much they spend on map licenses
  • that there is an alternative (OSM!) which is cheaper and has a more permissive license
  • the alternative may be more accurate, more up-to-date and more concise in many situations

--Flint 11:48, 17 October 2008 (UTC)

I don't think so for this particular purpose. We are asking under the Freedom of Information Act. We can basically ask public bodies reasonable questions - and under the Act, they have to give factual answers to those questions - provided it would be reasonable to do so. In my opinion, a request under the FOI Act is not an opportunity to suggest that they abandon the Ordnance Survey and switch to OSM. Richard B 11:58, 17 October 2008 (UTC)