Talk:Proposed features/public bookcase
A very interesting Amenity. I found one at my local Community center in Japan. I'll try to find out it's name (it had a label) to add to your translation list. Javbw (talk) 05:00, 18 December 2014 (UTC)
Little Free Library
I like this proposal. I'm mapping a public bookcase affiliated to the "Little Free Library" movement, and I wonder what's the best tag to describe this information. I think it might be brand=Little Free Library and let the operator tag free for the name of the steward? --Kaitu (talk) 15:46, 18 December 2014 (UTC)
- Yes, it does make a lot of sense. I'll add an example of this in the proposal. --Zethradon (talk) 03:20, 19 December 2014 (UTC)
Many of these are currently tagged as amenity=library or shop=books. While amenity=library with a subtag like library=public_bookcase may be sensible, I do prefer the proposed amenity=public_bookcase, because it is very distinct from other libraries. --Fkv (talk) 16:35, 20 December 2014 (UTC)
The brand may be bookcrossing, too. Some of their sharing places (called OBCZ) are in restaurants, bars, ... Should this tag only be used for book shelfs outside of other amenities? --Werner2101 (talk) 16:16, 29 December 2014 (UTC)
- From what I could gather from the BookCrossing website, BookCrossing is a tagging system for books that people share freely. People can "go hunt" to find these books in different location, and there may or may not be a specific amenity (a bookcase) in that place to hold the books, i.e. the books could be on tables.
- Here's my suggestion: if the books are in a public bookcase, tag as a new node inside the amenity:
amenity=public_bookcase brand=BookCrossing operator=Name of the restaurant/bar/etc.
- If the books are on the tables or there is no dedicated bookcase for these books, we could add a new tag to the amenity (restaurant/etc) to describe the book sharing activity. Maybe activity=book_sharing? (This would need discussion)
- I think the amenity=public_bookcase tag needs to be used only on actual physical public bookcase, and cannot describe a book sharing activity. --Zethradon (talk) 18:38, 29 December 2014 (UTC)