Urgent cleanup needed for feature desciption
I just come across this this tag. Interesting and strange aswell to me. The tag is used 47 898 times now. But what the hell to use it for???
I checked western Europe, USA, Brazil, Japan, Africa and all I found is a total mess of usage. The tag is nearly abused to 100 percent. Examples...
- landuse=garage instead of building=garage
- building=garage, landuse=garages for 5 (!!!) garages in row. In an residentail area.
- amenity=parking, landuse=garage for a carpark at a supermarket
In Russia there are are many wide areas - stand-alone areas with sometimes hundreds of garages. The necessity for this tag real exists!
We need to re-define this tag very strict. Significant in size of the area an much more important the stand-alone characteristic. In every residential area there is a garage to each house or flat and sometimes they are pooled to an area of perhaps 30 or more garages but the landuse is still residential!
The initiative for this tag came from a Russian user if you wonder. A nice aerial view from Sankt-Petersburg: https://firstname.lastname@example.org,30.498803,314m/data=!3m1!1e3
Please confirm for a feature desciption cleanup with the goal to make it very strict.
- I agree we should make it clear where to use this and (perhaps even more importantly) where not to use it. --Tordanik 02:33, 20 April 2015 (UTC)
- > In Russia there are are many wide areas - stand-alone areas with sometimes hundreds of garages. The necessity for this tag real exists! Yes, we use garage-related tags to filter uninteresting data.
- File:Garages.jpg describes perfectly wide areas used (but not limited to) to store motor vehicles and so on. It depends on the city and locality, but you would expect gravel/unpaved roads instead of smooth asphalt, zig-zag roads instead of highways, limited vision for everyone because of buildings. You can basicly create new feature Garages and group Tag:landuse=garages, Tag:building=garages and Tag:building=garage. But please also note that two building=* tags were never limited to landuse=garages. Usage of building tags without landuse is valid when you don't know how many operators in the landuse area. This is similar problem to landuse=industrial in multi-operator and landuse=residential in multi-purpose areas. Xxzme (talk) 03:40, 20 April 2015 (UTC)
Need to broaden the meaning of this
This tag is supposed to be expanded to include garage areas for companies operating a fleet of vehicles, and not only garages for a residential area. I think we should expand the page to say this can be used also for garage areas in general, such as parking areas for vehicle fleets by companies. Any ideas? TagaSanPedroAko (talk) 23:31, 14 May 2018 (UTC)