The Medway Towns
|latitude: 51.37, longitude: 0.54|
|Browse map of Medway 51°22′12.00″ N, 0°32′24.00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Medway is an unitary authority in Kent at latitude 51°22′12.00″ North, longitude 0°32′24.00″ East.
Medway is made up of the towns or Chatham, Gillingham, Rainham, Rochester and Strood.
Medway is made up of Multiple large towns (Gillingham, Chatham, Strood, Rainham), a City (Rochester) and a number of Villages and hamlets all of which have merged together along the lines of the River Medway and Roman Road, Watling Street(A2) It is the area North of the M2 (From Its start) To Medway Services.
Rochester was once a city but lost its City status due to a administrative error. Medway Council are trying to gain City Status for Medway and have published lots of paper work marked City of Medway unfortunately they haven't actually been given City Status yet.
Medway has had 2 Mapping Parties. Medway Mapping Party
The First Mapping party got approximately 50% of Chatham, Gillingham and Walderslade complete. Progress has been made in most other areas. Significant work is still needed on Strood, Rainham, Twydall, Borstall and Wigmore.
Currently Most of the Centre is very good indeed but many rural areas still need serious work.
Areas needing work include
- Isle of Grain (Hoo),
- Davis Estate (Weeds Wood on map) - both now mapped for streets and street-names
- Darnley Road Estate (Between Cuxton and Strood) - much of this area now mapped for streets and street-names
- Chatham (3) - 8/10
- is the Commercial Centre of Medway
- 2009 - The Roads in Chatham town Centre are being changed, Most of the old One Way System is now two way and a Flyover has been demolished. Needs re-mapping from the Ground. See http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/business/medwayrenaissance/chathamfuture.htm (This page has been used for information purpose only, the map is NOT copied and is probably inaccurate anyway apart from road layout.)
- Gillingham (4) - 9/10
- Rainham (9) 8/10
- Rochester (2) 7/10 (City of Rochester Upon Medway)
- is the Historic Centre and has many Tourist attractions
- Strood (1) 7/10
(And Other Areas incomplete list)
- Darnley Road Estate (1)
- Frindsbury (1)
- Wainscott (1)
- Borstal (2)
- St Mary's Island (3) (Chatham Dockyard)
- Brompton (4)
- Davis Estate (5)
- Walderslade (6)
- Twydall (7)
- Hempstead (8)
- Wigmore (8)
- Lower Rainham (9)
- Higham (10)
- Hoo (11)
- Upnor (11)
- Chattenden (11)
- Cliffe (11)
- Cliffe Woods (11)
- Cuxton (12)
- Halling (13)