The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) England, Scotland, and Wales), Northern Ireland, and British Crown Dependencies (the Isle of Man , Guernsey and Jersey 'The Channel Islands') and British Overseas Territories .is a country in Europe consisting the 'British Isles' (
The term Britain is confusing, even to those who live here, as it is often used as a synonym for the UK.
The UK has a very strong history in OSM: OpenStreetMap itself was born here in 2004; The very first mapping party was held in Limehouse, London 2005; and we have been host to 2 SotM conferences: State Of The Map 2007 and State Of The Map 2013.
At the national level OSMUK (osmuk.org) is a non-profit company and registered Local Chapter of the OpenStreetMap Foundation. OSMUK's roles are to act as a focus for community, be a financial entity, give the community representation at national level infrastructure meetings, run regional events, and provide advice and assistance to organisations and companies wishing to add to or use OpenStreetMap. They maintain a Talent Directory for professional and voluntary service providers.
There are 4 regional groups with active online and regular monthly in-person meetups:
|IE & NI|
|OSM London||Mappa Mercia||OSM Scotland||Nottingham|
Contributors are encouraged to get involved in any area that interests them (and write up appropriate information in this wiki). These sub-headings are only a loose categorisation.
wiki documentation for United Kingdom pages
- Wiki pages generally follow a naming convention similar to Wikipedia "<Subject subject> in the United Kingdom" which puts the subject first. A subject with multiple words has lowercase leading letters for 2nd, 3rd, etc. words.
- Locate all UK pages under a category. COMPLETE
- Clarify/state page naming convention COMPLETE
- Get all pages up-to-date. ONGOING 2019
- Have dead pages removed. ONGOING 2019
- Define process for adopting a page as United Kingdom Tagging Guidelines
- Remove 'WikiProject' prefic. COMPLETE Sept 2019
The UK Quarterly Projects are a quarterly, announced focus on improving a type of data coverage are used to pull the community together, build new tools, and generate UK-specific tagging guidelines.
- UK 2016 Q1 Project: Schools CREATE TAGGING GUIDELINES
- UK_2016_Q3_Project:_Farms CREATE TAGGING GUIDELINES
- Retail chains in the United Kingdom ACTIVE 2019
- Asda stores in the United Kingdom COMPLETE
- UK Food Hygiene Rating Scheme ACTIVE 2019
- 2012 Summer Olympics venues COMPLETE
- West Midland allotments INACTIVE 2012
- Parcel lockers in the United Kingdom 2014 INFO. UPDATE
- Breweries in the United Kingdom
- Bridge heights in the United Kingdom
- Long-distance footpaths in the United Kingdom
- Organised_Editing/Activities/National_Trust_Paths ACTIVE 2019
- Waterways in the United Kingdom
- Renewable energy in the United Kingdom ACTIVE 2019
- Route relations in the United Kingdom ARCHIVE OR UPDATE?
- Railways in the United Kingdom ARCHIVE OR UPDATE?
- Minor railways in the United Kingdom ARCHIVE OR UPDATE?
- United Kingdom A and B roads NEEDS UPDATING
- Motorways in the United Kingdom NEEDS UPDATING
- United Kingdom National Cycle Network (National and regional routes) ARCHIVE OR UPDATE?
- Neighbourhood Planning
- Monorails in the United Kingdom UPDATED 2018
- Lifeboat stations in the United Kingdom STARTED 2018
- Greyhound stadiums in the United Kingdom STARTED 2018
- Zoos in the United Kingdom STARTED 2018
Boundaries and Land Areas
- United Kingdom boundaries
- Postal codes in the United Kingdom
- National Parks in the United Kingdom
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and National Scenic Areas (NSA)
- Local councils in United Kingdom How can they use OSM and feed back into it.
Historic places in the British Isles
- Historic Britain
- Roman roads in the United Kingdom
- Prehistoric Britain
- Historic mining activity in the United Kingdom 2013
The map of the UK is mature but still has gaps in completeness.
Third party data
In addition to the world-wide data sources, the following are available specifically for mapping in the UK. Please note that their accuracy varies and therefore where possible we prefer ground-truthed data (e.g. collected by GPS survey)
- Ordnance Survey (Great Britain only)
- National Library of Scotland
- Historic maps (not limited to Scotland)
- Retail stores: Companies that have kindly given permission for branch data to be copied from their websites on to OSM. Do not use images/logos. Before adding to this list get confirmation in writing.
- The Environment Agency (of England) and the Environment Agency Wales
- English Environment Agency LIDAR (terrain and building height data)
- Post Offices
- Natural England England only
- OGL data for National Parks, Local and National Nature Reserves, Commons
- UK Food Hygiene Rating System
- Name, address, and other Information for thousands of food handling businesses across the United Kingdom.
- Public Rights of Way (Footpaths, bridleways, etc)
- Some UK Councils have released PROW (Public Rights of Way) data under OGLv3 licence. See UK 2018 Q3 Project: Paths and rights of way#Useful Tools, see also UK access provisions
- Electric Car Charging Stations