The OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) is a registered not-for-profit company (company limited by guarantee) which supports the OpenStreetMap project (for further information see "About" page at blog.osmfoundation.org). The company is registered in the United Kingdom according to the law of England and Wales (Scotland and Northern Ireland have distinct company laws). Other official information is available from the Foundation's website osmfoundation.org.
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Membership
- 3 Working Groups
- 4 Governance
The Foundation was established to:
- To be a custodian for the servers and services necessary to host the OpenStreetMap project. Specifically the foundation is the custodian of the servers located at UCL and the www.openstreetmap.org domain name.
- To afford some degree of protection from copyright and liability suits.
- To provide a vehicle for fundraising to support the project.
Anyone can join the Foundation through the foundation website for £15. A members email-list is available to members to communicate with other members (anyone can read the discussion). Discounts for some OSMF organised events such as the annual State of the Map conference) are offered. Members can stand for election at the AGM each year and can vote for the board and other ballots. Attendance at the AGM is not required for voting. Since 2014 voting is via on-line voting service with email invitation for all members. Prior to 2014 voting was by paper ballot in person at the AGM, or email by proxy. Join
You do not have to be a member in order to use or contribute to OpenStreetMap.
Many of the activities of the foundation are carried out by working groups. Working Groups are composed of volunteers and are always looking for new members. The following working groups are currently active:-
Communication Working Group
- Supports and maintains the OSM Foundation website
- Supports and maintains communication tools between OSM Foundation members and board
- Promotes communication within the OSM community
- Improves tools for supporting OSM membership subscriptions and renewals.
Data Working Group
- Main article: Data working group
Engineering Working Group
In its current form the EWG coordinates the "Google Summer of Code" projects.
EWG official webpage
The EWG supported the OSM development community and servesd as a technical forum for the discussion and resolution of development-related issues. This working group was discontinued in 2015 and reactivated with in a different form in 2017.
Licence Working Group
Licence and other legal topics.
LWG official webpage
Local Chapters Working Group
- Main article: Foundation/Local Chapters
To establish a framework for federated Local Chapters of the Foundation where local or special interest groups are able to set up a formal relationship with the Foundation. Federated groups will also be able to represent themselves to other official bodies such as the Government and media organisations  This group is currently inactive.
LCWG official webpage
Membership Working Group
The Membership Working Group is charged with:
- Administering the membership database
- Answering routine membership queries
- Increasing OSMF Membership
The Membership Working Group is not charged with:
- Membership of Local Chapters
- Corporate members
Operations Working Group
State of the Map Working Group
Is responsible for the organization and execution of the annual OpenStreetMap Foundation Conference "The State of the Map". Please note that regional SotMs (such as SotM-Asia, SotM-Africa, SotM-LatAm and others) are organised exclusively by local teams, which run their own sponsorship programs and have separate budgets from the OpenStreetMap Foundation.
SotM-WG official webpage
The board after the 2017 AGM:
- Chairperson – Kate Chapman (re-elected at end of 2016)
- Secretary – Martijn van Exel
- Treasurer – Frederik Ramm (re-elected at end of 2016)
- Peter Barth
- Mikel Maron
- Paul Norman (re-elected at end of 2017)
- Heather Leson
Formal meetings normally held monthly and the Board Meeting Minutes are published on the foundation website.
- To contact the board in normal circumstances please email the secretary using email@example.com.
- The full board can be emailed using firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that this email alias is not limited to the aforementioned board members, but may also be copied to other parties.
- The Officers (Kate, Martijn and Frederik) can be emailed using email@example.com
|First Name||Last Name||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017|
|Steve||Coast||Elected||term extended||Re-elected||term extended||term extended||CE||CE||not elected|
|George||James||(aka Etienne Cherdlu)||Elected||Re-elected||not elected|
|Mikel||Maron||Elected||Re-elected||Re-elected||term extended||Re-elected||Elected||term extended||term extended|
|Henk||Hoff||Elected||Re-elected||term extended||term extended||Re-elected||term extended||term extended|
|Simone||Cortesi||not elected||Elected||term extended|
|Hurricane||Coast||(nee McEwen)||not elected|
|Oliver||Kühn||Elected||term extended||term extended||Re-elected||term extended|
|Thea||Aldrich||(nee Clay)||not elected|
|Kate||Chapman||not elected||not elected||not elected||Elected||term extended||term extended||Re-elected||term extended|
|Matt||Amos||Elected||term extended||term extended|
|Dermot||McNally||Elected||term extended||Re-elected||term extended|
|Frederik||Ramm||Elected||term extended||Re-elected||term extended||Re-elected||term extended|
|Marek||Strassenburg-Kleciak||not elected||not elected|
|Paul||Norman||Elected||term extended||term extended||Re-elected|
|Peter||Barth||not elected||Elected||term extended||term extended|
|Martijn||van Exel||Elected||term extended||term extended|
|Guillaume||Rischard||not elected||not elected|