State of the Map
The State of the Map (SotM) conference is the annual, international conference of OpenStreetMap. Organised by the OpenStreetMap Foundation it has been held each year since 2007 (except 2015). There are also many other regional and local conferences named "State of the Map" (such as SotM-Asia, SotM-Africa, SotM-US and others). Please note that these regional SotMs are organised exclusively by local teams, which run their own sponsorship programs and have separate budgets from the OpenStreetMap Foundation.
The international State of the Map team have started to collate a planners guidebook to help with the organisation of OSM events. Take a look at /Planning.
Next State of the Map
There will be no worldwide State of the Map in 2023. SotM 2024 will be held in Africa – or if there is no possibility in Africa for 2024, we will look for a country in a region which was underrepresented in the history of SotMs.
|Year and wiki page||Logo||Dates||Location||Website||Group photo|
|2022||August 19 to 21||Florence, Italy and online||https://2022.stateofthemap.org/|
|2021||July 9 to 11||online||https://2021.stateofthemap.org/|
|2020||July 4 to 5||online||https://2020.stateofthemap.org/|
|2019||September 21 to 23||Heidelberg, Germany||https://2019.stateofthemap.org/|
|2018||July 28 to 30||Milan, Italy||http://2018.stateofthemap.org/|
|2017||August 18 to 20||Aizuwakamatsu, Japan||http://2017.stateofthemap.org/|
|2016||September 23 to 25||Brussels, Belgium||http://2016.stateofthemap.org/|
|2015||The 2015 conference was sadly cancelled due to some organisational problems.|
|2014||November 7 to 9||Buenos Aires, Argentina
(first time in Latin America)
|harrywood dev (pending deploy)|
|2013||September 6 to 8
|Birmingham, United Kingdom||http://2013.stateofthemap.org/|
|2012||September 6 to 8||Tokyo, Japan
(first time in Asia)
|2011||September 9 to 11
|Denver, United States
(first time in North America and outside Europe)
|2010||July 9 to 11||Girona, Spain||http://2010.stateofthemap.org/|
|2009||July 10 to 12||Amsterdam, Netherlands||http://2009.stateofthemap.org/|
|2008||July 12 to 13||Limerick, Ireland||http://2008.stateofthemap.org/|
|2007||July 14 to 15||Manchester, United Kingdom||https://2007.stateofthemap.org/|
These regional/local conferences are not organised by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. They are organised exclusively by local teams, which run their own sponsorship programs and have separate budgets from the Foundation.
State of the Map Europe (SotM-EU)
- Karlsruhe, DE on 13-15 June 2014.
- Since 2011 was the first year that the international State of the Map conference was held outside Europe, the Europeans decided to hold a regional conference for those who are unable to attend the one in the United States. This was held in Vienna, AT on 15-17 July 2011.
State of the Map Baltics
- The second SotM Baltics will happen in Riga, Latvia on March 6th 2020.
- The first SotM Baltics was held in Tartu, Estonia on 3-4 August 2013.
State of the CZ+SK (Czech Republic and Slovalia)
- The first State of the Map CZ+SK 2017 was held in Brno, Czech Republic on 4 November 2017.
State of the Map Southeast Europe
- The first State of the Map Southeast Europe took place on 25→27 October 2019 July in Prizen, Kosovo. https://sotmsee.org/
State of the Map France (SotM-FR)
- The seventh conference will take place in Montpellier from 13 to 16 June 2019.
- The sixth conference was held in Bordeaux from 1 to 3 June 2018.
- The fifth conference was held in Avignon on 2 to 4 June 2017.
- The fourth conference was held in Clermont-Ferrand on 20 to 22 May 2016.
- The third conference was held in Brest on 29 to 31 May 2015.
- The second conference was held in Paris on 4 to 6 April 2014.
- The first conference was held in Lyon on 23 and 24 February 2013.
State of the Map Polska (SotM-PL)
- State of the Map Poland 2018 took place in Poznań on 13-14 April 2018.
State of the Map Scotland
- After a break in 2014, the forth SotM Scotland was held in Edinburgh from October 2 to 3. The third day, consisting of a map maker day and tutorials for those new to Openstreetmap, is yet to be confirmed.
- The third SotM Scotland was held in Edinburgh on 11-12 October 2013. Followed by a hack day on 13 October.
- The second SotM Scotland was held in Edinburgh on 19-20 October 2012.
- The Scots held their first SotM local conference in Glasgow on 26-27 August 2011.
State of the Map Spain
- SotM CAT was held in Barceloneta, Catalonia on 3 October 2015.
State of the Map Suomi (Finland)
- SotM Suomi 2020 was organised on saturday Sep 26th 2020 in Helsinki.
FOSSGIS (German-speaking countries)
The German speakers conference about OSM, taking place in Austria, Germany or Switzerland.
The Italian conference about OSM.
- The conference was not organized in 2022 as Italy hosted State of the Map 2022 in Firenze.
- 2021 - FOSS4G-IT
- The twelfth conference was held online, as part of FOSS4G-IT 2021, on 19-21 September.
- The eleventh conference was held in Turin, on 22 February.
- 2019 - FOSS4G-IT
- The tenth conference was held in Padova, on 20-24 February.
- 2018 - FOSS4G-IT
- The ninth conference was held in Roma on 19-22 February, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia and FOSS4G-IT.
- 2017 - FOSS4G-IT
- The eighth conference was held in Genova, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia and FOSS4G-IT.
- The seventh conference was held in Milano, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia.
- The conference was initially scheduled in Siena, but the event was cancelled.
- The sixth conference was held in Matera, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia.
- The fifth conference was held in Rovereto, in cooperation with Wikimedia Italia.
- The fourth conference was held in Torino, in cooperation with Associazione per l'Informazione Geografica Libera GFOSS.it, Regione Piemonte, Università di Torino and CSI Piemonte
- The third conference was held in Padova, in cooperation with Centro di Ricerca Interdipartimentale di Cartografia, Fotogrammetria, Telerilevamento e SIT (CIRGEO) at the University of Padova
- The second conference was held in Genova, in cooperation with Laboratorio di Geodesia, Geomatica e GIS del Dipartimento di Ingegneria delle Costruzioni, dell'Ambiente e del Territorio (DICAT) della Facoltà di Ingegneria dell'Università degli Studi di Genova. 
- The first Italian conference was held in Trento, in cooperation with Fondazione Bruno Kessler (FBK). 
State of the Map Africa
- The second State of the Map Africa took place on 8-10 July in Kampala, Uganda. http://sotmafrica.org/
- The first State of the Map Africa took place on 21 November in Lomé, Togo.
State of the Map Cameroon
- The first State of the Map Cameroon took place on 1–3 December in Yaoundé, Centre, Cameroon. http://geomatique237.xyz/
State of the Map Tanzania
- The first State of the Map Tanzania took place on 8–10 December in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. https://stateofthemaptanzania.wordpress.com/
The second State of the Map Tanzania will take place on 20-22 January 2023 in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. https://stateofthemaptanzania.org/
State of the Map Nigeria
- The first State of the Map Nigeria was held in Port Harcourt in 2022.
State of the Map U.S.
- Main article: State of the Map U.S.
State of the Map LatAm
- The fifth Latino-American conference is planned for November 14th Encarnación, Paraguay
- The fourth Latino-American conference was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina on 24-25 September 2018.
- The third Latino-American conference was held in Lima, Peru from 29 November 2017 to 2 December 2017.
- The second Latino-American conference was held in São Paulo, Brazil on 25-27 November 2016.
- The first Latino-American conference was held in Santiago, Chile on 4-6 September 2015.
State of the Map Argentina
- SotM Argentina 2019 will be held in Santa Fe, 12th October.
- SotM Argentina 2017 + FOSS4G was held in Buenos Aires on 23 October 2017.
State of the Map Asia (SotM-A)
State of the Map Asia was born after the success of the international SotM conference 2012 in Tokyo. The conference is organised by local OpenStreetMap communities and focuses on themes and contents that are current to the region.
- Bangladesh is planning for the fifth Asian conference in Dhaka, on 1-2 November 2019.
- The fourth Asian conference will take place in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India, on 17-18 November 2018.
- The third Asian conference took place in Kathmandu, Nepal, on 23-24 September 2017.
- The second Asian conference happened in the heart of Manila, Philippines on 1-2 October 2016. Organized by the OpenStreetMap Philippines community, in cooperation with Visions Asia of Japan.
- The first official SotM Asia in Jakarta, Indonesia.
State of the Map Japan
- There was no national conference in 2017 since the international State Of The Map took place that year in Japan.
- The third conference was held on 6 August in Akabane, Tokyo. https://stateofthemap.jp/2016/
- The second conference was held on 31 October in Hamamastu, Shizuoka. https://stateofthemap.jp/2015/
- The first State of the Map Japan took place on 13 December in Tokyo. https://stateofthemap.jp/2014/
- There was no national conference in 2012 since the international State Of The Map took place that year in Japan.
State of the Map Myanmar
- The first State of the Map Myanmar took place on 12 January in Mandalay. https://www.facebook.com/SotMMyanmar/
State of the Map Philippines
- A "State of the Map: Philippines" track is included in the 2019 Pista ng Mapa conference program.
- The first State of the Map Philippines took place on 14–15 December in Quezon City.
State of the Map Taiwan
- The first State of the Map Taiwan took place on 18 September in Taipei.
State of the Map Oceania
State of the Map conferences in Oceania have so far taken place as join events with OSGeo Oceania, a "volunteer organisation devoted to growing and enabling the OpenStreetMap and Open Source Geospatial communities in Oceania and the surrounding nations." For more information, see their website.
- 2021, November 12–13 in Apia, Samoa; Auckland, New Zealand; Canberra, Australia; Hobart, Tasmania; Melbourne, Australia; Perth, Australia; Suva, Fiji; Tarawa, Kiribati; and Wellington, New Zealand.
- 2020, November 20 was planned to be an in-person event in Suva, Fiji, but due to the pandemic it turned to a regional-hub model.
- 2019, November 12–15 in Wellington, New Zealand.
- 2018, November 20–23 in Melbourne, Australia.