|latitude: 50.536, longitude: 4.399|
|Browse map of Belgium 50°32′09.60″ N, 4°23′56.40″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Belgium is a country in Europe at latitude 50°32′09.60″ North, longitude 4°23′56.40″ East.
|WikiProject Belgium +/-|
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to Belgium. Any guides or conventions on this page can be discussed on the discussion page, feel free to comment or help (mapping your area, tagging streets or correcting this page).
For accessibility reasons pages can be presented in four languages, but for practical reasons, the English version is the original version. For other languages choose a language at the top of the screen or choose here Nederlands or Français. The English version is kept up to date the most.
Belgian OpenStreetMap Community
Starting in 2013 there is an OpenStreetMap Belgium organization. We are part of OKFN Belgium as a working group and are one of the Foundation/Local Chapters (agreement). One of the first things that was done was to create a website: https://openstreetmap.be/.
OpenStreetMap Belgium has the following goals:
- Promoting OpenStreetMap in Belgium.
- Supporting the mapping community in any way possible.
- Single point of contact for OpenStreetMap in Belgium.
- For communication within the community, we mostly use a high-volume real-time chat room that is synchronised (bridged) across these networks:
- The the mailing list talk-be is used less these days, but still has a decent following. It is still the place to go for more formal announcements and discussions. Subscribe or read the archives. The mailing list is administered by the OSMbe Board (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Start with OSM
- Beginners' guide Nederlandstalig / Francophone / Deutschsprachig / English
- Learn OpenStreetMap Step by Step with LearnOSM
- How to map an object Nederlandstalig / Deutschsprachig / Francophone
OpenStreetMap volunteers in Belgium
Here's an incomplete list of OpenStreetMap volunteers in Belgium that are active on the wiki. If you want to be on this list, please:
- Create an OpenStreetMap wiki account if you haven't got one yet, and log in. Note that an OpenStreetMap wiki account is not the same as an OpenStreetMap map editing account!
- Go to your personal wiki page. You can find it by scrolling to the top of any page and clicking your name.
- Edit your personal wiki page, adding the following line at the bottom:
[[Category:Users in Belgium]].
Have a look at the Communication section above for more ways to meet other mappers.
See the Mapping resources page for a longer, yet incomplete list.
The most useful resources are available both in the web editor (iD) and JOSM. Make sure to have a look at the many available layers!
- UrbIS-Ortho most recent (selected by default)
- AGIV Flanders most recent aerial imagery
- UrbisAdm FR (includes buildings, numbers and street overlays and French names)
- UrbisAdm NL (same as above but with Dutch names)
- AIV Flanders most recent arial imagery (selected by default)
- AIV Flanders GRB (includes buildings, numbers and street overlays and names)
- AIV Digitaal hoogtemodel (very detailed hillshade)
- SPW most recent aerial imagery (selected by default)
- SPW PICC numerical imagery (includes buildings, numbers and street overlays and names)
- SPW Relief de la Wallonie - Modèle Numérique de Terrain (MNT) 2013-2014 - Hillshade
OpenStreetMap Belgium keeps a list of projects at the OSM.be website.
Have a look at the subprojects above to see a longer list of projects. They may be active, defunct or just starting. Feel free to create a new subproject page if you want to work on something new.
See the Conventions page for discussing the mapping and tagging conventions.
If you have a goal that you are working towards or one that you would like to see get done (and are maybe willing to get the ball rolling) then add it to the list here, create a section where it can be coordinated and tracked, and a way of measuring progress.
Most activities are organized through the Meetup page .
Older discussion about activities was in the talk page.
- Administrative regions of Belgium - Wikipedia
- Municipalities in Belgium - Rectified version (low resolution, not usable for mapping)
- WalOnMap: Portail Cartographique de la Région Wallonne
- GeoPunt Catalogus: collection of Flemish data that is usually fit for mapping with OSM.
- Geo.be - federal geoportal
- Geofabrik Mapcompare - nice tool to compare OSM to some other maps
- Wegnummering in België(nl) - Wikipedia
- Autoroutes et routes de Wallonie - Région wallonne
- Google books, België in kaart
- Liste des lignes de chemin de fer de Belgique - Wikipedia
- Lijst van spoorlijnen in België - Wikipedia
- Wiki quality assurance page. On this page you can find many explanations to the tools that can be used to have better quality in OpenStreetMap