WikiProject Belgium/Mapping resources
- 1 Mapping resources
- 1.1 Sources
- 1.1.1 AGIV
- 1.1.2 Atlas de Buurtwegen
- 1.1.3 SPW
- 1.1.4 TEC
- 1.1.5 Yahoo high-resolution imagery
- 1.1.6 Institut Cartographique Militaire / Militair Cartografisch Instituut maps
- 1.1.7 Carte de Ferraris / De Ferrariskaart
- 1.1.8 Gemeentelijk stratenplan
- 1.2 Potential sources
- 1.2.1 De Verkeersbordendatabank
- 1.2.2 Topo and geo maps by the MGI/IGM (1947-1976)
- 1.2.3 The Atlas der Buurtwegen / Atlas des chemins vicinaux
- 1.2.4 Brussels
- 1.2.5 Walloon provinces
- 1.2.6 Boundaries
- 1.2.7 Bike Node Networks
- 1.2.8 RAVeL Network maps
- 1.2.9 GSM/UMTS antenna sites
- 1.2.10 De Post / La Poste
- 1.2.11 30 km/h zones from Gpspassion.com users
- 1.3 Legal knowhow
- 1.1 Sources
The AGIV (http://www.agiv.be/gis/nieuws/?artid=2179) has released some part of its data using the 'Gratis Open Data Licentie Vlaanderen'. We need to mention AGIV as a source on this wiki.
Some of the data from AGIV that was released in some form as open data:
- CRAB: Addressing database of the Flanders part of Belgium.
- Orthophotos: Areal imagery; usage of this areal imagery has been confirmed: This is allowed in OpenStreetMap.
Atlas de Buurtwegen
The provinces of West-Vlaanderen, Oost-Vlaanderen, Vlaams-Brabant, Limburg and Antwerpen provide 'De Atlas der buurtwegen' under the terms of the 'Gratis Open Data Licentie Vlaanderen'.
PICC orthorectified precision<25 cm Wallonia map
This daughter page explains that SPW, the PICC's © owner, allows to trace the WMS service without restrictions.
The JOSM PICC layer is available in:
Imagery>Preferences>Imagery Providers>Available Default Entries>BE SPW(allonie) PICC numerical imagery
PICC is made from aerial photographs with a precision better than 25cm.
They are digitalized and orthorectified.
This means that errors due to the obliqueness of the photography are corrected, a thing impossible to do "manually".
Although PICC is available since 2010, the SPW has corrected a bug and made the © matters clear only in 2016, so that contributors have mapped Wallonia by other methods with a 2-3-5m error or even more during that time and that that work has to be redone again.
- Contact with the... RDV 05 November 09 (eMerzh )
- New contact based on and to the address mentioned in  for the data Orthophotos (Areal imagery) and PICC (Addressing database) The RedBurn (talk) 21:28, 20 October 2016 (UTC)
- Received a preliminary positive answer 2016-11-23
- Received a positive answer 2016-12-20
Data already in JOSM, but I've asked for something formal (letter or a mention on the website) to be able to add it to iD.
- In May 2017, contacted this time the Wallon ministers of mobility and tourism and the director of Géométrologie.
- End of May, got an answer from an attaché to the Secrétariat général of the Direction de l'Intégration des géodonnées.
- Discussion is underway between the attaché and Belgian OSM contributors to get a formal authorization for OSM contributors. The RedBurn (talk) 14 September 2017
- Official authorization given in May 2018 (see WikiProject Belgium/Mapping resources/SPW). The RedBurn (talk) 16:23, 17 May 2018 (UTC)
Heritage in Wallonia
Yahoo high-resolution imagery
Institut Cartographique Militaire / Militair Cartografisch Instituut maps
- no database rights
- authoring rights (if any) expired (anonymous individual authors, published over 70 years ago)
- equivalente voorstelling van Bonne
- 1897-1903 1/40000 map at the royal library
- 1903-1917 1/40000 map at the royal library
- all works by the Institut cartographique militaire Bruxelles (1878-1947) at the royal library (241)
- all works by the Institut Cartographique Militaire Bruxelles at the royal library (33)
- sale of 1928 1:10000 topo map of Belgium, 77€, (buyer and seller contacted - not willing - Mark)
Carte de Ferraris / De Ferrariskaart
- De Ferrariskaart (1777), integraal te bekijken via cff2doc.googlepages.com/ferrarisall.html of http://belgica.kbr.be, publiek domein (auteursrecht verlopen 70 jaar na de dood van de auteur).
- Beveren  met officiële goedkeuring van het college van burgemeester en schepenen (zitting 9/5/2011), contact: silasdm
- URI: http://www.mobielvlaanderen.be/verkeersbordendatabank:
- contact (researching - Mark)
Topo and geo maps by the MGI/IGM (1947-1976)
- 1950s maps _MIGHT_ be an acceptable source, ongoing research
- 1948-1950, 1:20000, Lambert projection
- need to find decent sources (preferably digitised)
- analog source: Koninklijke Bibliotheek/Bibliothèque Royale, Brussels, http://220.127.116.11/scripts/mgwms32.dll?P0=NKBR&P1=1_JAN&P9=&P5=20&P4=&P2=4&P3=R_BBH&P6=91_1050829
The Atlas der Buurtwegen / Atlas des chemins vicinaux
The use of the Atlas de Buurtwegen is permitted because of the Free_open_data_licence_Flanders.
- Urbis \o/, see ML
- They are digitising them in cooperation with the Région Wallonne. I called them (2008/08), and at least Luxembourg is close to completion.
- Brabant Wallon : Rue Armand Dewolf, 2 à 1357 Hélécine - Tél : 019/65.91.29. Ouvert au public sur rendez-vous.
- Hainaut : Site du Clair-Logis, Rue St Antoine, 1 à 7021 Havré - Tél : 065/87.97.03. Ouvert au public tous les jours ouvrables de 8h00 à 12h00 et de 13h00 à 16h00.
- Liège : Rue Darchis, 33 à 4000 Liège - Tél : 04/230.48.00. Ouvert au public tous les jours ouvrables de 8h00 à 12h00 et de 14h00 à 16h00. Site : http://www.prov-liege.be/stp (not available online)
- Province du Luxembourg : Square Albert 1er, 1 à 6700 Arlon - Tél : 063/21.22.59. Ouvert au public tous les jours ouvrables de 8h00 à 12h30 et de 14h00 à 16h30.
- Province de Namur : Chaussée de Charleroi, 85 à 5000 Namur - Tél : 081/56.30.46 (47). Ouvert au public tous les jours ouvrables de 8h30 à 11h30.
- The Department of Modern and Contemporary History of Ghent University has a HISGIS project, where you can see historical data, including boundaries. They were contacted, but currently do not work with external partners. The work is copyrighted by the UGent. (Cheezycrust 10:13, 7 January 2009 (UTC))
Bike Node Networks
- Fietsnet has mapped 11550 kilometers of bike node networks in Flanders and parts of The Netherlands. Contacted for possible co-operation. (Cheezycrust 10:13, 7 January 2009 (UTC))
- But based on some routes I've come to the conclusion that at least part of their tracks are based on the original maps, and not made with a gps. So we have to be careful with reusing their data. --Eimai 10:18, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
RAVeL Network maps
- Cartographie RAVeL Walloon region has mapped the RAVeL trail tracks network (old rail tracks, etc...) in Wallonia (as well as other network such as "PICVerts"). Contacted for possible co-operation. (Phuba 10:30, 26 July 2009 (UTC))
GSM/UMTS antenna sites
- The BIPT/IBPT has a site with all GSM/UMTS antenna sites, and possibly also other antennas. Contacted for possible co-operation. (Cheezycrust 10:13, 7 January 2009 (UTC))
De Post / La Poste
- Post boxes, post offices, maybe postcode boundaries? Contacted for possible co-operation. (Cheezycrust 10:13, 7 January 2009 (UTC))
30 km/h zones from Gpspassion.com users
A long list of 30 km/h zones in Belgium, collected by users of the gpspassion.com forum, has been posted here. A discussion in the talk-be mailinglist revealed that the manager of the 30 km/h zones project, Jean Herman, was "ok to give this work to the OSM community". A more formal permission (in particular with the Contributor Terms) has probably not been given. Anyway, someone added OpenStreetBugs for every entry in the list (November 2012). It is not possible to tag the zones correctly without research on locations, because the zones are all given by one coordinate only. Since OpenStreetBug is closing, these "bugs" should be removed. I (avena701) recommend not adding the list to Notes. Rather, I recommend to use the list as a inspiration for fieldwork:
- Download  and extract the file
- Install the GpsBabel utility
- Run the command
gpsbabel -i CSV -f zone30_BE.asc -x swap -o GPX -F zone30_BE.gpx
- Open zone30_BE.gpx in JOSM or with your GPS device