| Australia, Oceania|
|latitude: -28, longitude: 133|
|Browse map of Australia 28°00′00.00″ S, 133°00′00.00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Australia is a country, island and continent in Oceania at latitude 28°00′00.00″ South, longitude 133°00′00.00″ East.
- 1 Welcome
- 2 Communication
- 3 Australia specific mapping information
- 4 Events
- 5 Where things are at around the country
- 6 Older projects
Welcome to OpenStreetMap Australia! The purpose of this wiki page is to collect and provide information that would be useful to an Australian mapper. 99.9% of the country has at least a basic level of detail. Volunteers from all around Australia have already begun mapping the roads. However even the most developed areas are missing important map details and we need your help! For people on the ground you can help by looking out for details such as, missing roads/footpaths/cycleways, turn restrictions, speed limits, points of interest (restaurants and clinics, etc.) and street addresses, etc. For those who are editing remotely you can help by mapping buildings, natural areas (such as wood, lakes) and landuses.
Communication is key to high quality mapping. Don't be shy!
- Please join the OSM Australian mailing list. This is well-used and a great way to find out information and communicate with other people working in Australia. The list is also available as a forum view
- You can also join the Maptime Australia Slack, Once accepted make sure to join your relevant community channel.
- On the OSM Forum: OSM Forum Australian section (less used)
- On IRC: #osm - Not Australian specific, but a good international place to hang out and ask questions. Web client.
- Get help on the help forum
- /r/openstreetmap on Reddit for general news/discussion.
Finding other Aussie mappers
- Have a look at the Category:Users in Australia page to see who is active. Link your own user page to the appropriate State or Territory category to join this list of proud mappers.
- WhoDidIt can be used to see changes made in an area of your choosing.
Australia specific mapping information
- Australian Tagging Guidelines: Guidelines of how to map in Australia, please read if you edit in Australia.
- Tips especially for Aussies: Compiled from the collected wisdom of our mailing list.
- Australian Data Catalogue: A catalogue of Australian datasets, and whether or not we have permission to use in OpenStreetMap.
Mapping is more effective with a group of people. Social events involve (as you would expect) a meetup before splitting up to record information in your zone. Virtual events can be completed by anyone without leaving the house.
- Brisbane Mapping events are held monthly.
- Both Canberra and the Sunshine Coast/Mapping Parties have previously had mapping parties, but it is unknown when the next events are planned in these areas.
Where things are at around the country
Most areas outside the major centres can be made more accurate by using well-aligned imagery.
WikiProjects and information by Australian state or territory
Coastlines, islands and external territories
- The Australian coastline is fully connected on the continent and islands.
- Norfolk Island - Roads and Tracks ~99% All recently surveyed.
Other national subprojects
Remapping state borders
Only straight segments of the state borders could be restored after the redaction. The missing sections of the Australian Capital Territory border have now been imported from ABS. The NSW/Victoria border on the south bank of the Murray River is being slowly remapped from imagery - you can help.
The remaining NSW/Qld border will likely be imported from ABS in the near future.
Remapping cities, streets and rural roads
There was a great deal of remapping still to be done as a post-redaction following the change of license for OSM data. Of the major urban centres, Sydney and Adelaide were perhaps the hardest hit.
From imagery, there are many major and minor waterways (rivers, lakes and streams) that were lost as they were attached to an import that was removed. Due to the editing history, many objects have been shortened or have had nodes removed that has caused them to lose accuracy.
Please see the task manager on http://rebuild.poole.ch/ for coordinating the aerial remapping.
There are many streets now without names, many rural roads outside the area of imagery that will require resurveying.