Australian Mapping Community
There is large, active, and passionate community of contributors that provide have been improving the map of Australia since the beginning of the OpenStreetMap project.
Throughout the evolution of OSM, there have been many different communication channels, platforms, and forums that have been used by the Australian mapping community to coordinate and make the map better.
New contributors are always welcome! Don't be shy: find your preferred communication channel and jump in!
|OSM Australian mailing list||One of the oldest, and most historically active communication channel. The list is a great way to find out information and communicate with other working people, and the discussions there have been the historical basis for much of the Australian Tagging Guidelines.||Very Active|
|OpenStreetMap World Discord
||There is a growing number of members who are using Discord for real-time discussion and collaboration. Anyone is welcome to join and participate; Discord is a great tool for real-time "how do I tag this" conversations, rather than reaching out to the mailing list anytime there is confusion, as well as containing other conversation. Once joining Discord to see the
|Maptime Oceania Slack. (Matrix bridge)||Another real-time communication channel. Once accepted make sure to join your relevant community channel.||Active|
|OSM Forum Australian section||The OSM Forum. The forum is very actively used by other communities, but is less frequently used by the Australian community.||Less Active|
|OSM Community Oceania||The Oceania category for the official Discourse site community.osm.org.||Barely any yet|
|#osm IRC (Web client)||Not Australian specific, but a good international place to hang out and ask questions.||Active|
|OSM Help forum||Good place to get help for general mapping issues||Active|
|/r/openstreetmap||Good subreddit for general news/discussion.||Active|
Find Nearby Mappers
- Have a look at the Category:Users in Australia page to see who is active. Link your own user page to the appropriate State or Territory category to join this list of proud mappers.
- Find out who contributes around you
- Look at a list of most prolific mappers in Australia
- WhoDidIt can be used to see changes made in an area of your choosing.
Events and Mapping Parties
Organised Editing Teams
Over the many years of the Australian OSM project, many pages have been created and then superseded or left unmaintained. These pages have been archived for posterity.
Archived Australian Pages
- Australian News
- Aussie Mapnik Style Changes
- Foundation/Local Chapters/Australia
- Draft Rules
- Tips especially for Aussies
- Starting with a Blank Map in Australia
- Australian Service Station Tagging
- Australia Building Footprints
- Australian Geographic Reference Image
- Australian Bureau of Meteorology
- Municipal Association Victoria
- Data.australia.gov.au/South Australia
- Data.australia.gov.au/South Australia/National Parks
- Data.australia.gov.au/World Heritage Areas
- Data.australia.gov.au/Northern Territory
- Victoria, Australia old project content
- Victoria, Australia/Road progress
- Public transport in Victoria (Australia)/Metlink
- WikiProject South Australia
- WikiProject South Australia/POI
- OpenRailwayMap Tagging
- Lakes of Western Australia