I started using OpenStreetMap in March 2009. I do some mapping in OSM around my hometown, and I do Orienteering maps as well. I am studying Computer Science at Uppsala University, Sweden and have done some applications using OSM. Usually I do my mapping when I am running using my Garmin Forerunner 305.
Things that I like with OSM:
- It's free, and very open
- Everyone can edit the map, like wikipedia
- Very good scale at the highest zoom-level
- Good editing tools
Things that I don't like with OSM:
- Too many Map Features, I it's a mess. This makes it hard to do mapping and it looks really bad on the map.
- The colors and design of the rendered map is really bad. That's one reason why I prefere Google Maps sometimes.
- More details should be rendered when you zoom out. See Compare Maps