Hello, my name is Jannis Achstetter.
Mon Sep 18 13:29:27 +0100 2006
Having my village and the places around mapped completelyPretty much complete :) Building a cheap GPS-Logger, using the AVR32-based NGW100Got a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx now. Maybe I'll put the NGW into my car. Beeing able to use a combination of GPSdrive/Kismet/OSM/RoadNAV?/GrassGIS/MySQL/Navit and maybe GoogleEarth for mapping/wardriving/data storage/data usage/navigation. Gpsdrive is still installed, but a good map source is missing. Navit is the tool of choice right now.
Most of the time, I use my IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60 for mapping/geocaching and such. This might seem a bit unhandy but you get the best software you could think of. Battery lifetime isn't perfect but over 3 hours are ok for most cases.Move to the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Besides I have an Android Smartphone (LG Optimus Speed/2X) for fetching geocache-data.
- In the past I used a Royaltek RGM-2000 connected via USB (Sirf II)
Today I use my NaviBe GB732 via Bluetooth (it has a Sirf III) and it works perfectly (I just forget to switch it off after mapping so the battery runs out :/)Somehow the battery-circuit failed and one can only use it when powered via USB. I'd love to get some nice Garmin-device but right now, I just can't afford itGot an eTrex Vista HCx now :D
What I did
Have a look at http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=49.98821953622567&lon=9.108726197500882&zoom=13&layers=0B00F00 (of course this is not all made by me but at least most parts of Kleinostheim are)Many people are mapping in my home-area now. This is great! Someone drew all houses from aerial imagery!
- Script to import OSM-data to GRASS GIS: http://kripton.kripserver.net/software/v.in.osm/ (API 0.4; will not work any longer)
- I ran the tiles@home-client most of the time my computer is running; stopped after some update of the client didn't work (and they forbid me to have files not belonging to Osmarender in that folder)
- Organised a mapping-event at my former school (see Aschaffenburg/FDG-Aktion)
- Proposed one image that became IOTW
You can reach me via e-mail:
e-mail: jannis (UNDERSCORE) achstetter (AT) web (D) de
My PGP key ID is 0x9F5495E4