From OpenStreetMap Wiki
(Redirected from Supermarket)
|shop = supermarket|
|A large store for groceries and other goods.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: In use|
|Tools for this tag|
Ais a large store for groceries and other goods. It's a full service grocery store that often sells a variety of non-food products as well. Almost always part of a chain, e.g. Tesco, Safeway. Stores that do not provide full service grocery departments are generally not considered supermarkets for historical reasons.
How to map
- operator=* - indicates the name of the company operating the supermarket
- wheelchair=* - suitable for wheelchairs
- organic=* - yes - if it sells some organic food, only - if it sell only organic food
- bulk_purchase=yes/only - if the supermarket offers products without packaging.
- branch=* Indicates the town or street where the supermarket is located.
- shop=convenience - Typically much smaller than a supermarket, and typically carries a more limited selection of food items. One suggestion for distinguishing between a supermarket and a convenience shop, is that a supermarket is large enough to use trolleys.
- shop=variety_store - A price-point retailer selling inexpensive items. These can have aisles and trolleys but normally little or no food items.
- shop=general - A general store. Selling various things. This tag is a little unclear for various reasons, but a supermarket has more of an emphasis on food.
- shop=department_store (and Proposed features/department store) - a large store with multiple clothing and other general merchandise departments. These are less likely to have shopping trolleys and smooth floors for wheeling them. They have little or no area given over to food items. A department store that sells a full selection of groceries (e.g. Walmart Supercentre) which is often called a "hypermarket" should be tagged shop=supermarket
Tags in combination
Where these amenities appear within a supermarket, you might use these tags in combination. A preferred level detail, if you can determine a separate location, is to map them as separate objects:
- membership=yes (proposed tag) - if a supermarket requires a membership to join (typical of stores like Costco and Sam's Club). See also proposed tag shop=wholesale.
- wholesale=yes - shop that sells in large quantities, often to businesses
- Mapnik -