|amenity = fuel|
|A retail-type facility where motor vehicles can be refueled.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The fuel tag is used to map a fuel station, also known as a filling station, petrol station, gas station and petrol garage. It is the retail-type facility where motor vehicles can be refueled. Fuel stations for watercraft, aircraft and rail vehicles are using different tags (see below).
How to Map
Often the station is operated operator=* by one of the major brands brand=* and has a tenant tenant=*. If the station has a name of its own, that can be tagged too using name=*. Related tags such as Addresses, phone=* and website=* can also be added.
Different fuel types are tagged as mentioned at fuel=*
Payment and Discounts
Use payment=* to tag payment options. Tag discounts as fuel:discount=<discount programme> in combination with amenity=fuel if the fuel station accepts discount vouchers, eg shopper dockets or other loyality programmes.
There are not agreed upon tags for different levels of service, but both self_service=yes/no and full_service=yes/no and automated=yes/no have been used. Note that a gas station can be both self serve and full serve.
The roofs of petrol stations can be tagged with building=roof and layer=1. Use the maxheight=* tag indicate the maximum height (in meters, like 3.8) for a vehicle that can use the fuel pumps. Opening hours opening_hours=* may also be optionally tagged.
- Tag the building related to the fuel station as building=yes and optionally with any other appropriate tags (ie - operator, brand, tenant, name, opening hours, shop, etc)
- It is also a good idea to tag the ways leading to, through and away from the fuel station with highway=service and access=customers.
The highway part under a roof should be tagged covered=yes.Alternatively the area around the fuel pumps may be tagged as area:highway=service and surface=*.
- Kiosk: Add shop=kiosk (default is kiosk=no) to the fuel station if a kiosk exists.
- Convenience: Add shop=convenience to the fuel station if there is a convenience shop as part of the fueling area.
- Car Wash: Add an additional node amenity=car_wash if there is a car wash on site.
- Toilets: There may be toilets related to the fuel station. Map toilets as an additional node with amenity=toilets.
- Compressed air: Add a node for amenity=compressed_air
- Refill drinking water tank (caravans, buses etc): Add water_point=yes or add node for amenity=water_point to mark the exact place of facility.
- Empty septic tank (caravans, buses etc): Add sanitary_dump_station=yes or add node for amenity=sanitary_dump_station to mark the exact place of facility.
Fuel station for watercraft, aircraft and rail vehicle
Fuel stations for other vehicle classes are should be tagged as