| +/- historic=castle
fortified building in medieval and modern times
Castles are (often fortified) buildings from medieval and modern times. For the German Burg and Schloss no proper English counterpart exists, the description and picture should help.
How to map
Place a node at the centre point, or draw a way around the outline of the construction. Tag with historic=castle
Tags to use in combination
- name=Name - name of the site, for example Windsor Castle.
- castle_type=type - classification of the castle. Currently under discussion. See section below for details
- wikipedia=name of article - for most of the castles in Central Europe an article in Wikipedia exists. You should tag articles linking to one of the different languages available, e.g.
- German: wikipedia=de:Schloss_Pillnitz
- English : wikipedia=en:Pillnitz
- ruins=yes - set this tag when the castle is a ruin, that means if only remains of buildings without roof or at least some walls exist. (don't use historic=ruins anymore).
The castle_type=type tag can be used to give a classification of the castle. The alternative values are have been under discussion. There is no Proposal page yet and they have not been voted or agreed upon. The main point of the discussion is whether to break with OSM custom and use precise German/local language tags or to use more general English tags.
Note also that a lot of discussion is taking place in German. You may find useful information (or unhelpful inconsistencies) on the DE:Tag:historic=castle page, from which much of the following was translated.
These tags are rendered in the German hiking map
The tagging should be based on the current state of the building as perceived on site today.
|Type||Description||Map icon||Ruin icon||Example|
|castle_type=defensive||Defensive castle. Fortified, defensible dwelling or military stronghold|
|castle_type=stately||Stately home. Representative building without functional defenses. Sometimes rebuilt from former defensive structures.|
|castle_type=fortress||Fortress. Heavily fortified structure with military use.|
|Type||Century||Description||proposed Icons (ruin)||Picture|
|castle_type=burg||11.-16.||castle made of stone, a enclosed building to dwell and defense of the high and late medieval time. (česky hrad)||()|
|castle_type=schloss||14.-20.||a mostly well designed rarely fortified castle (česky Zámek, polski Zamek, русский замок)||()|
|castle_type=burg;schloss||14.-20.||a Burg modificated to a Schloss has attributes of both types of castle||()|
|castle_type=festung||15.-20.||fortification, a strongly fortified military building||()|
|castle_type=kremlin||7.-16.||Kremlin - a special type of castle in Russia|
- Use historic=archaeological_site and
site_type=fortification for castles which have completely vanished or of which only little visible remains exist like ramparts, moats or some stones. Also to use with prehistoric and early medieval ramparts.
- Key:historic for other historic things.
For proposed icons see the ones at the table above.