What's wrong with shop=vacant? A vacant shop looks like a vacant shop, and we tag what we see. Adding disused=yes or similar won't do the trick, because a shop loses its classification (clothes, food, toys...) as soon as it becomes vacant. It still does look like a shop, but usually it cannot be seen which kind of shop it was. --Fkv (talk) 22:47, 19 September 2014 (UTC)
- Well, let's repeat what I wrote on Template talk:Map Features:shop: For me, a major argument against using shop=vacant is that it contradicts the definition of the shop key ("A place selling retail products or services."), as vacant shops don't sell anything. From a more practical perspective, it may be a good idea for certain applications to show all shops. With thousands of different shops, you really should be able to just filter using the shop=* key without having to deal with not-actually-shops.
- And if the classification bothers you, there is still the option of using disused:shop=yes. --Tordanik 19:46, 21 September 2014 (UTC)
- I used shop=vacant a lot, and never really thought about it. I can see disused:shop=* has some advantages although I don't feel strongly either way.
- A vacant shop still has some of the interesting characteristics of a shop when it's taking up a space on the high street (it's that kind of thing I'm imagining). In a way you could say a vacant shop is still a shop. Note however, I would not say a vacant butchers shop is still a butchers shop. A data consumer is probably not going direct somebody to it in the hope of buying something because we're saying nothing about the shop type. It's not too bad on the "principle of least surprise".
- On the other hand, yeah maybe 'disused' is better.
- Most of the times when I've mapped vacant shops, it hasn't been particularly apparent what type of shop it was or will become. So I guess disused:shop=yes captures that. Shall we document that on this page?
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 14:30, 24 February 2016 (UTC)
I'm sure I had a better photo of this. I'll have to dig it out. Trouble with the current one is, it's not actually entirely apparent that the shop is vacant. It might just have it's metal shutters closed (which is a common problem while mapping shops actually) -- Harry Wood (talk) 14:33, 24 February 2016 (UTC)
shop=vacant is really redundant
Many small vacant shops are still used as apartments in the floors above so it is not really vacant or disused. Why not delete the shop relevant tags and just leave the building attributes as is?
-- User:Dcp 14:06, 21 August 2016