Foundation/Local Chapters/United States/Virtual Mappy Hours
Sign up The OpenStreetMap US Mappy Hours are virtual hangouts for the U.S. community. User:mvexel started the Mappy Hours in 2013 and continues to host them alongside other participants from OpenStreetMap US. After a hiatus, the Mappy Hours were reintroduced in 2019.
What are the Mappy Hours about?
The Mappy Hours are casual gatherings and a space to meet new people. We often have a presentation and an OSM-related topic of discussion. Conversations tend to be about things like:
- Mapping and Tagging
- Local groups and local events
- The OSM US organization
- What's happening in the rest of the world
- Anything you want to discuss!
Virtual Mappy Hours are planned on a regular (mostly monthly) basis. Signing up is now required. Please sign up using the linked forms for each event. Thank you for your participation!
|Date||Time||Topic / Presentation||Joining Information|
|Wednesday June 16, 2021||8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT||This week at Mappy Hour our theme is mapping for disaster response and resilience. Hear about mapping projects related to disaster response and resilience mapping efforts in the US and abroad from guest speakers Nicole Martinelli (Resiliency Maps) & Russell Deffner (Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team)||We will meet via Zoom. Please sign up to join using this form.|
Holding an event for your local community? Please reach out if you would like any support.
Mappy Hour - Suggestions for 2021
Have an idea or want to present? Share it here!
- demo/workshop on Athena queries on Amazon data. Presenter - Jennings Anderson
How to join
People can join using the Zoom video conference tool which is available for Linux, Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. Zoom also provides phone dial in for those unable or unwilling to install proprietary software on their devices. Each meeting will have a unique meeting ID. See here for other ways to join and how to use Zoom resources on their website.
Signing up is now required to reduce the chance of hacking. Also please let us know any topics you'd like to discuss during a future mappy hour. Thanks!
We welcome 5 to 15 minute presentations about any OSM related topic! Please edit this section to add your idea or presentation, complete this form, or get in touch with User:mvexel or User:MaggieMaps.
Any recorded past presentations can be found on the OpenStreetMap US YouTube channel.
- Thursday May 20, 2021 - Mapping USA - Mappy Hour Social Event Kickoff
- Wednesday May 12, 2021 - This week at Mappy Hour our theme is biking and walking. Hear from Dean Allemang, Lena Nguyen, & Daniel Solow on related mapping projects. View the recording here.
- Wednesday April 28, 2021 - This week at Mappy Hour our theme is natural environment. We heard from Brian Sperlongano on river tagging in OpenStreetMap. View the recording here!
- Wednesday April 14,2021 - This week at Mappy Hour our theme was education. The TeachOSM steering committee and American Geographical Society shared how OSM has been introduced in classrooms across the country. View the recording here.
- Wednesday March 24, 2021 - Mappy Hour featuring lightning talk presentations by Bond Harper on mapping art in OSM, Jess Beutler on the Women Remembered project, and Valerie Anderson about a number of conservation-related mapping initiatives in Florida. View the recording here.
- Monday, March 8, 2021 - International Women's Day - Ladies Night Mappy Hour bringing together the women in OpenStreetMap. This event welcomes anyone who perceives herself as a woman. Expect to meet like-minded women from the OpenStreetMap community, connect, network, and converse on ways we can engage and empower more women through OSM.
- Wednesday, February 24, 2021 ~ Theme: A Celebration of Black History Month. Join us for a presentation about the Mapping Segregation project with Mara Cherkasky of PrologueDC.
- Wednesday February 10, 2021 - "Exploring Coordinate Precision with xkcd comic 2170" with guest Patrick McGranaghan. View the recording here.
- Wednesday January 13, 2021 - Theme: Winter Mapping. Lightning talk: "Surveying the Ouray Ice Park" with guest Sam Ley. View the recording here.
- Wednesday December 16, 2020, Mappy Hour - with guest Diane Fritz - Using OSM as a database with Overpass turbo View the recording here.
- Wednesday November 18, 2020 OpenStreetMap GeoWeek Mappy Hour
- Thursday October 29, 2020. OpenStreetMap US: Connect 2020 - Mappy Hour Social Event Kickoff
- Wednesday October 14, 2020. Mappy Hour - YouthMappers: 5 years of building a worldwide student mapping network with guest Chad Blevins. View the recording here.
- Wednesday September 23, 2020. Mappy Hour - JOSM Tips & Tricks with guests Alan Bragg & Wade Crump. View the recording here.
- Wednesday September 9, 2020. Mappy Hour with guest Eugene Chong - Tracking UN Sustainable Development Goals with OpenStreetMap: What Can OpenStreetMap Tell Us About Open Space and Transit Access in American Cities? View the recording here.
- Wednesday August 19, 2020. Mappy Hour with guest Ian Dees - Imports are
AwesomeHard Work. View the recording here
- Wednesday August 5, 2020. Mappy Hour with guest Martijn van Exel - MapRoulette. View the recording here.
- Wednesday July 22, 2020. Mappy Hour: Diversity in OSM Part 2
- Wednesday July 8, 2020. Mappy Hour with guest Richard Welty, OpenHistoricalMap. Discussion around historical mapping.
- Friday July 3, 2020, NY Mapathon Part 2: Mapping houses in the Town of Hempstead with guest Daniel Solow from MappingLI
- Wednesday June 24, 2020, Mappy Hour - Topic: Diversity. Lightning talks: Anson Parker, Location Privilege - the ups and downs of GPS tracking in office buildings; Maggie Cawley, GeoChicas
- Tuesday June 9, 2020, Mappy Hour with a presentation from Brian DeRocher, Community organizing with Microcosm
- Friday June 5, 2020, NY Mapathon Part 1: Mapping houses in the town of Hempstead, NY with Daniel Solow
- Wednesday May 13, 2020, Mappy Hour with a presentation from Margaret Spyker, Imports
- Thursday April 30, 2020, Mapathon w/ MaptimeBmore - Mapping POIs in response to COVID-19
- Wednesday April 29, 2020, Steven Johnson, TeachOSM. Discussion around OpenStreetMap in education.
- Wednesday April 15, 2020, Erika Nunez, MapGive: U.S. Department of State's public diplomacy initiative for open mapping
- Thursday April 9, 2020, Miles Campbell, OSM and Accessibility: In times of crisis, publicly available information for pedestrian access, especially for those with disabilities, can be invaluable
- Wednesday April 8, 2020 8pm ET, Virtual Validation Mappy Hour hosted by Missing Maps.
- Wednesday April 1, 2020 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT Maggie Cawley & Jennings Anderson, OpenStreetMap US Community Survey Results
- Wednesday March 18, 2020 8:30pm ET
- Alan Bragg, Using JOSM Map Paint Styles to highlight address points (April 24 2019)
- Geoff Maas, Open Data in Minnesota (May 22 2019)