Garmin/eTrex Venture HC
|Garmin eTrex Venture HC|
|Description||Adventure navigator (No)|
|GNSS|| 12 channels|
|Memory||Internal: 24MB (10.000 max logging).|
|Host system||(operating system: Garmin)|
|Batteries||2 AA (14Hrs lifetime)|
24 MB internal storage
High precision GPS receiver (WAAS/EGNOS capable), displays color maps. No compass, no altimeter, no memory card slot. 24MB internal memory for map data. USB port. Supported battery types: Alkaline, NiMH, Lithium(?). For NiMH, sometimes warns about low batteries several hours before the batteries are exhausted.
Like probably all eTrexes, it comes with a glued-on black rubber protection running around the edges of the device. After being exposed to rain, glue comes leaking out from there, and the rubber protection is getting loose, although the device is supposed to be water-proof.
Software to extract track data:
- Windows: BaseCamp, qlandkarte, mapsource (both use garmin's driver)
- Linux: qlandkarte, gpsbabel (note for bouth qlandkarte and gpsbabel you need to ensure that the usb permissions is correct, see this link: http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html (works on Debian and Ubuntu, and might work on others as well.)
Software to upload map data generated from OSM to the device:
- Windows: BaseCamp, qlandkarte, MapSource (included)
- Linux: qlandkarte
- note: sendmap does not seem to work with this device at all. Therefore, it is not possible to use custom .typ files with this device, as qlandkarte won't upload .img files with .typ file integrated.
--Rrr 20:22, 1 October 2008 (UTC)
- True, but you can still use MapSource to upload OSM maps to the device. It works as it should. --Sebs42 13:25, 17 April 2009 (UTC)