|Maximum time you are allowed to stay somewhere.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
This key allows the specification of the maximum time that it is allowed to:
- Park your car
- Moor your boat
- Stay at a campsite
- amenity=parking + maxstay=30 minutes
- amenity=parking + maxstay=1 hour
- amenity=parking + maxstay=2.5 hours
Time conditional restrictions (also known as disc parkings) can be tagged by using 'Time and date' condition:
- maxstay:conditional=1 hour @ (08:00-18:00) (or maxstay=1 hour + maxstay:conditional=no @ (18:00-08:00), depending on whatever it is better for simple data consumers to show sometimes wrong "no maxstay" or sometimes wrong "1 hour maxstay")
- amenity=parking + maxstay=1.5 hours + access:conditional=no @ (Su,PH). Maxstay is overruled by access conditions. In this case, parking is generally allowed for 90 minutes, but no parking on Sunday and public holidays.
The general syntax of maxstay=* is as follows.
maxstay=<number> <time unit>
In some cases also additional tag using conditional restrictions is necessary to fully express value.
maxstay:conditional=<restriction value> @ <condition>
This is the primary value. Only numeric values above zero and decimal points are valid, e.g., 45 minutes, 2.5 days, 1000 minutes.
This value specifies the unit of
<number>. Valid units include: second, minute, hour, day, night, week, month, year, and their plural form when the number is above one, e.g., 1 day, 2 days, 5 hours.
Specifying the unit is required. The unit should not be abbreviated, and there should be a space between the number and the unit.
This is the value of the restriction, e.g., 30 minutes, 1 day, 3 nights. Same rules apply from
- Main article: Conditional restrictions § Value
The value comprises of the @ character followed by the time and date condition.
Some mappers indicate a maxstay of 0. This might mean either of the following things:
- There is no sign indicating a maxstay. This can be indicated unambiguously with unsigned=maxstay.
- It is forbidden to stay, only stop. This can be indicated with maxstay=load-unload.
- It is permitted to stay for an unlimited period. This can be indicated with maxstay=no or maxstay=unlimited.
- Access is not allowed at all - use access=*, possibly also with access:conditional=* for that.
Maxstay without unit
Values with no units are unclear or difficult to interpret. The value of maxstay=* should always include a unit, as no default value (such as days, hours, or minutes) can be assumed.