|A note to yourself or to other mappers.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
|If you are looking for an easy way to add your bug report, you can also use Notes.|
A note is used to inform other mappers about non-obvious information about an element, the author's intent when creating it, or hints for further improvement. It is usually recorded against a node, way or relation.
Standard maps normally don't show notes.
The distinction between note and comment is that a note is generally used on nodes/ways/relations to describe real-world things like "the busstop is actually here but the signpost was knocked down in september 2009", whereas a comment is used on changesets.
The length of a note is limited to 255 characters by the OSM server. Caveat: some front-end editing tools seem to allow one to create longer notes but the upload of those notes will not succeed.
- layers.openstreetmap.fr - displays note's text directly as an overlay on the map.
- JOSM - displays a small "N" on object with a tag note attached.
- comment=* - for adding text describing the changeset to other mappers.
- description=* - for adding text that might be viewable to the end user.
- fixme=* - to mark objects and places that need further attention.
- do not mix it with Notes - core feature of the OpenStreetMap.org, it enables you to add a comment on the map to assist others in mapping/editing OpenStreetMap.