Mechanical Edits/Mateusz Konieczny/surface=soil to surface=dirt
|blocked by different people perceiving different differences between surface=soil/ground/earth/dirt. These differences are undocumented at Key:surface - or to be more precise - at Template:Map Features:surface|
I plan to change surface=soil to surface=dirt
surface=soil is a clear duplicate of surface=dirt. It is also less popular and undocumented on Key:surface. surface=soil usage is slowly increasing and recently passed threshold of 400 entries worldwide. It would be a good idea to retag it to already documented tag before this duplicate gets more popular.
- amount of surface=soil in OSM as of 2015-08-31 is 402.
- amount of surface=dirt in OSM as of 2015-08-31 is 435 752
I'd download all surface=soil using Overpass API and change the tagging by search and replace using Level0 editor. The upload of the changed data I'd do in chunks to check the data once more before upload and not to create a worldwide changeset.
This would be a one time edit.
Edits will be made from account "Mateusz Konieczny: bot account"
state before mechanical edit:
state after mechanical edit:
Changeset comment would be " changing surface=soil to surface=dirt as surface=soil is less popular duplicate. This mechanical edit is documented at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny/surface%3Dsoil_to_surface%3Ddirt "
message via OSM I will respond also to PMs to the bot account.
- as diary entry (planned)
- mailing list OSM-talk https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2015-August/thread.html#74030
- mailing list OSM-tagging https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-August/thread.html#26277
- OSM wiki - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny/surface%3Dsoil_to_surface%3Ddirt