Mediterranean Fires 2021
Based on mapping needs and affectation, the following areas in the Mediterranean were identified:
However, only Algeria was part of the campaign (check the table on the section below for details).
More information can be found on the disaster page at the Mediterranean Wildfires 2021 page.
How You Can Contribute
Be Part of This Activation
This activation has concluded, for ongoing Activations please visit Disaster Services.
Volunteers are the pillar of our activations, with your contributions we can obtain more and better data. As well as helping all the entities that request it. You can start contributing now to any activation.
You don't need to be a pro, our volunteers start from the beginner level and continue their growth up to the advanced level. It's as simple as creating your HOTOSM account, be sure to check out the training videos , continue your path on our Training Center in order to be part of current and future activations.
- Most of our volunteer needs are for remote OSM contributors, join LearnOSM.org to get started.
- Learn to Map, you can start your journey now. You do not have to ask permission before adding or modifying existing data.
- Additional guidance for tagging in the various Activation areas can be found in the instructions of each project on the Tasking Manager.
- Head to the Tasking Manager - Please choose from highest priority first
- Go further, by contributing you will move up a level, Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. Keep your track, experienced mappers are also asked to participate in validating completed tasks. Information on validating can be found here
- Think you know OSM well enough to feedback others? Request the global validator role here.
|Contribute||Priority||Location||What to map||Imagery Source||Tools||Overall Progress|
|11296 - SOUTH OF TIZI OUZOU BUILDINGS||Completed||Algeria||Buildings||Bing||Basic Tasking Manager Projects||Stats|
|11305 - SOUTHEAST OF TIZI OUZOU BUILDINGS||Completed||Algeria||Buildings||Bing||Basic Tasking Manager Projects||Stats|
|11351 - SOUTHEAST OF TIZI OUZOU BUILDINGS (2)||Completed||Algeria||Buildings||Bing||Basic Tasking Manager Projects||Stats|
|11411 - SOUTHEAST OF TIZI OUZOU BUILDINGS (3)||Completed||Algeria||Buildings||Bing||Basic Tasking Manager Projects||Stats|
|11412 - SOUTHEAST OF TIZI OUZOU BUILDINGS (4)||Completed||Algeria||Buildings||Bing||Basic Tasking Manager Projects||Stats|
|11295 - NORTHWEST OF TOUDJA BUILDINGS||Completed||Algeria||Buildings||Bing||Basic Tasking Manager Projects||Stats|
|11265 - WEST OF TOUDJA BUILDINGS||Completed||Algeria||Buildings||Bing||Basic Tasking Manager Projects||Stats|
|11283 - TOUDJA AND SOUTH BUILDINGS||Completed||Algeria||Buildings||Bing||Basic Tasking Manager Projects||Stats|
For Aid Organizations
Map and Data Services
Download the data
See Downloading data for instructions on getting large scale map data, or see the focused exports below:
- A custom export is available on the HOT Export Tool
- Regularly updated OpenStreetMap exports are available on the Humanitarian Data eXchange (HDX)
|Country||Status||HDX||HOT Export Tool||Partners/Other|
OpenStreetMap offers an online map (and spatial database) that is updated by the minute. Various tools and services allow data extracts for GIS specialists, Routable Garmin GPS data, Smartphone GPS navigation, and other device-compatible downloads. With an internet connection, regular syncing is possible with open access to the community contributed data as it comes in, with OpenStreetMap's bulk data downloads ideal for use offline. In addition, maps can also be printed on paper.
Browse the (example) Activation Area to get a feel for the data that is currently available. Different map styles including a Humanitarian style can be selected on the right side, and some data may not render (appear) on the map but could be exported from the underlying database (See export section below).
Poster size Maps and normal sized paper atlases of custom areas can be printed:
- For print, the World Food Programme has built the Humanitarian Topographic Atlas.
- We suggest FieldPapers Paper Maps with grid for field survey or general navigation purposes.
- See OSM_on_Paper for an overview and list of other platforms and services for printing maps.
With the availibility of Small communication devices, Navigation Offline data proves to be very useful to the humanitarians deployed in foreign countries. We support the humanitarian NGO's using navigation data and invite them to give us feedback on the utilization of these devices in the context of field deployment.
- See Software/Mobile for more information on using OSM in portable devices.
- See also Mobile Mapping on LearnOSM.org for information on mapping in the field.
Usage of OSM data for Humanitarian Missions
- Example CartONG Map
- Please post links/reports here...
OSM Default Imagery Sources
Bing provides a global imagery data source that is the 'default' Imagery available for OSM (default option in most editors).
Mapbox provides a global imagery source and should be compared to Bing (typically use Bing for alignment if available and not instructed otherwise).
Alternative Imagery Sources
How to add/use Alternative Imagery
In many cases better imagery is available than the default; when possible we set up a remote link directly via the Tasking Manager, so there is nothing to do, the iD editor and (as long as enabled) JOSM will automatically add the imagery.
Additionally, with JOSM, it's relatively easy to add special imagery if the license is appropriate for tracing into OSM. For more details see JOSM Imagery Help
About the Team & HOT
- To learn more about the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT), explore more of our wiki pages (root: HOT) or our website hotosm.org. We are a global community of mostly volunteers, we are also a US Nonprofit able to contract with organizations (email info at hotosm.org to contact our staff), we are also a 501-c-3 charitable organization.
Contact the Activation Team
If you have needs for data in your area, our team is standing by to assess and help generate that data. For the fastest response, send an email to Activation @ hotosm(dot)org and our volunteer Activation Working Group will respond as soon as someone is available, sometimes immediately. If your need is more sensitive you are welcome to send the email to info @ hotosm(dot)org where one of our staff will reply (typically within one or two business days).
Also, contact us if you need help utilizing OpenStreetMap for your needs!