Microgrants/Microgrants 2020/Proposal/LGBT safe spaces mapping in the Philippines on OpenStreetMap
About your Mapping Community
MapBeks is an online community of volunteers that advocates LGBTQI+ representation and inclusion on OpenStreetMap. It started in 2017 when a group of friends mapped out building footprints to support the TY Mangkhut operations. Eventually, with the support and guidance of Mental Health aWHEREness and the local OSM Philippines community, MapBeks was able to identify its role within the diverse OSM millieu.
Currently, the group is made up of 10 main volunteers which help each other host small mapathons with various organizations. They have been actively mapping LGBT friendly spaces and HIV facilities in the. country.
What do you need the grant money for?
We want to understand what you plan to buy, how much you plan to buy, and why this will help you to scale your community mapping efforts. There are two tables for you to fill in your response, and you may add more rows as needed. Some examples are in the table for your reference. You are welcome to use a different format in your response, but please make sure to include these details.
We would like to use the grant to support mobilization and operational cost for MapBeks to reach out to more LGBT communities and groups. The core of the proposal would be to
- Implement 5 major mapping parties tapping LGBT groups throughout the country through online videoconferencing sessions (Luzon, Metro Manila, Visayas, Mindanao). Each party will include the following discussions:
- introduction to OpenStreetMap and mapping basics
- importance of LGBT representation in maps and data
- mapping party in identifying LGBT friendly-spaces
- focus group discussion on other things that can be mapped with regards to the LGBT community
- introduction to basic uses and functions of an online repository of LGBT data
- Data collected and validated will be shown at the LGBT-safe spaces map where data will be downloadable and accessible by anyone.
- To promote OpenStreetMap contributions through online social media games in Facebook - games will be posted on LGBT social media groups to introduce and encourage the members to OSM and mapping. Prizes will be shared to the members who has contributed the most per month. MapBeks will be incharge of curating the data.
- Tie up which LGBT advocacy organizations to contribute and increase information dissemination about the cause.
Inline with this, we would need expand exposure, visibility, sustainability so as more people in the community specifically can engage with OpenStreetMap and contribute to mapping. Furthermore, the grant money would be used for operational cost to establish a registered group and legal entity to support LGBT mapping functions and events in the future.
Give your budget breakdown here. If you would like to present your budget in a tabular format, you can use this tool to convert your spreadsheet into a wikitable and paste the code below here
|Item||What do you plan to spend the money on?||Expected cost per unit (in Euros)||Quantity you plan to buy / subscription length||Expected total cost (in Euros)||Why is it needed? (please give as much detail as possible)|
|1||Volunteer Communication Allowance for Team Meetings||€107.15 per month||12 months||€1,285.80||Team meetings with volunteers would allow to improve on the growing community. Additionally, this can be set on planning, reporting, and monthly catch-up. This is allocated for communication allowance which includes internet and cellular phone credits. The maximum total number of volunteers expected would be 20 persons with a budget suggestion of €5.36 per person per month.|
|2||Online Mapping Party and Focus Group Discussion||€136.38 per session||5 sessions||€681.90||Mapping parties or FGDs are essential to invite diverse members of the LGBT community from various areas in the country (Luzon, Metro Manila, Visayas and Mindanao, and an extra 1 if necessary) to better document and accommodate various groups. A single event is estimated to have 40-60 participants which should be represented by more than 5-10 organizations per area.|
|2.1||Internet Load per Participant per event||€1.82||300 participants||€545.50||Each participant will be provided internet load (€1.82) so as they can secure maximum capacity to participate on the online mapping party and continue using it for the succeeding 3 days. (Example: https://www.globe.com.ph/prepaid/gosurf.html)|
|2.2||Token for Guest Speaker||€27.28||5 sessions||€136.40||Gift for speaker. Cheaper compared to honorarium.|
|3||Social Media and Marketing||€97.74||12 months||€1,163.28||Cost for internet connectivity, advertisement expenses for Facebook and Twitter.|
|3.1||Social Media Advertisement||€36.37||12 months||€436.44||Used for advertisement for invitation to events, meetings, or gatherings on social media.|
|3.2||Internet Connection||€36.37||12 months||€436.44||Internet connectivity + Telephone line (can be used to verify LGBT spaces) - Example Plan: https://pldthome.com/wholehomewifi|
|3.3||Video Conferencing||€15.00||12 months||€180.00||Pro account to host more than 50-100 participants during web conferencing.|
|3.4||Online Graphic Design Tool||€9.20||12 months||€110.40||For creating publicity materials|
|4||Prizes for best contributors||€908.20||1 lumpsum||€908.20||Includes prizes for volunteers for participants in events like mugs, shirts, stickers, etc.|
|4.1||Shirts||€6.37||50 pieces||€318.50||Prizes for the Top 6 exceptional mappers for each webinar (5 sessions) + 20 shirts for volunteers|
|4.2||Mugs||€2.19||30 pieces||€65.70||Prizes for Top 7-12 contributors for each webinar (5 sessions).|
|4.3||Sticker Sets||€1.64||100 pieces||€164.00||Prizes for Top 20 contributors for each webinar (5 sessions)|
|4.4||Gift Certificates for Groceries||€30.00||12 times||€360.00||For online social media POI collection games per month to best mapper. 3 winners per month|
|5||Delivery/Logistics Costs||€45.00||5 times||€225.00||For delivering of prizes and if necessary, transportation costs.|
|6||Administrative Costs||€500.00||1 time||€500.00||10% cost for administrative and clerical support|
If you receive a grant, what do you aim to achieve?
It is recommended that this supports mission of the OSM Foundation and your local community. Please provide us with any information you think is relevant including the metrics you expect to achieve. Please write 100-200 words.
If funded, the group aims to do the following:
- increase local LGBTQ data on OSM through adding safe-spaces and HIV facilities
- establish an online website/repository of LGBT open data for anyone
- create documentation for LGBT mapping
- conduct FGDs and mapping parties with various organizations and groups
Expected Metrics to achieve:
-conduct 5 large online mapping parties/ focus-group discussions (40-60 participants or 5-10 organizations)
-increase group community membership
-conduct a social media POI collection game for members of the LGBT community per month
Do you receive funding from any other sources at the moment?
If you receive funding from other organisations currently, please state how much this is, whether the donations are regular or one off, and how these funds have been raised. Please write no more than 300 words. If you have any sources of co-funding for this grant application, please provide details. Examples of this might be if you have any partners who would be willing to match grant funding if you receive it, or if your project has existing funding. Please provide as much detail as possible.
We were able to receive a 2020 OpenDataDay grant from Open Knowledge Foundation for a small datathon last March 7, 2020 in partnership with Pilipinas Chubs X Chasers and Fahrenheit Bar
No other formal support and funding has been received by the group but we have partnered with local organizations in our small mapathons like:
- The Red Whistle (HIV advocacy group)
- University of the Philippines Department of Geography (academe)
- Pilipinas Chubs X Chasers (LGBT group)
- OSM Ph-izza Program
The proposal submitted is solely for this grant application.
Is there anything you would like OSMF to support you with?
If there is anything which you would like OSMF to support you with in order to strengthen your project, please let us know. For example, this could include building relationships with OSM communities, sourcing updated imagery for mapping projects, or guidance on how to use some of the tools we have created. We want to do our best to support OSM communities, so please let us know what you need. Please write no more than 150 words.
Hopefully, we could get support in the following:
-exposure to the mapping efforts done by the local community
-guidance in creating a website/repository for LGBT open data
By submitting this form to the OpenStreetMap Foundation, you certify the information contained in this application is correct, and that if you are awarded a grant, you will use it only for the purposes described above. You will provide written documentation and receipts for all of your expenses to the OSM Foundation to demonstrate this. You understand that the decisions made by the OSM Foundation Microgrants committee are final.
I, Mikko Tamura of Mapbeks, agree to follow the above declaration.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I fully endorse this grant application by Mikko Tamura of Mapbeks. The mapping project is both urgent and important. In the times of crises such as COVID-19, the needs of the LGBTQ community in the Philippines tend to get ignored. Mapbeks aims to help address that. Furthermore, this project could set an example to others globally.
- As a beginner in the mapping community. I agree that Mapbeks aims to provide technical source for geospatial information that is essential to humanitarian, health, and economic response. -reintasico
- I am pleased to endorse the MapBeks initiative led by Mikko Tamura. This is a digital mapping community who advocates for LGBTQ inclusion and promotes gender diversity. This growing community has been helping to recognize and support the needs of the LGBTQ members. I hope they could get the financial support they need to continue and improve their project. -feyeandal
- Mapbeks is apt for OSM microgrants because like OSM, Mapbeks is built on diversity and of coming together. Mapbeks intends for LGBT+ community in the Philippines to be visible (in map form at the very least) in the hopes to show proper representation and foster acceptance that is deservedly so and quite a long overdue. Mapbeks also serves the LGBT+ community members through uncovering safe and helpful spaces to just be or gain access to. Awarding Mapbeks with the requested fund could really help expedite to reach their goal and, in a way, would mean that the LGBT+ community has an ally though OSM. - Makoi
- I fully support and endorse Mapbeks for the OSM Microgrants. The LGBT community has been enduring frequent experiences of violence and victimization especially in extremely heteronormative countries such as the Philippines. High rates of suicide, substance abuse, and mental health problems are also hugely related to LGBT discrimination. All these have long-lasting effects on the individual and the community, and I am glad that an initiative such as Mapbeks helps address and prevent these problems. Mapbeks also provides a safe space — both physically and virtually (which is really important now that we’re in community quarantine, btw!) - that promotes inclusivity and diversity. The financial support through the Microgrant would help expand their reach and help more individuals in need. - anditabinas
- MapBeks is one of the active mapping communities in the Philippines that represent marginalized/underrepresented sectors and I wholeheartedly endorse this proposal. —seav (talk) 04:28, 21 May 2020 (UTC)
- The LGBT community in the Philippines has a long way to go in terms of helping change some people's attitude and acceptance towards them. Efforts like these hopefully will help change the mindset and eventually improve diversity in Filipino society. Fully supporting this! -- ronxronquillo
- MapBeks is the first LGBTQ mapping initiative (that I know of) in the Philippines. It encourages inclusiveness of an underrepresented sector and diversity on the map, and I fully support and endorse this great initiative. - arnalielsewhere
- More than a platform that offers much needed information in the Philippines, Mikko's energy, devotion, and commitment has truly built a fantastic community of volunteers, advocates, and mappers. I owe a lot to Mikko for introducing and equipping me with the tools to contribute to OSM and I hope they could get the financial support they need to expand the project further. -yalubill
- I, with my utmost sincerity, support this grant application by Mikko Tamura of Mapbeks. I've been to some of Mikko's mapping workshops, one of them is "LGBTQ Spaces HIV Facilities Mapping". His initiative is especially helpful for those who do not have the luxury of time to look for HIV facilities in the Philippines as well as LGBT safe places. Mikko is capable of teaching effectively to both beginners and pros in mapping. - BeaTanLim
- Discrimination against the LGBTQ community is still present in the Philippines and I believe projects like this will help lessen it. It is important for everyone, regardless of gender and sexuality, to feel safe. - Monica May