Microgrants/Microgrants 2020/Proposal/OSM GLAM
About your Mapping Community
Tell us a little bit about your mapping community at the moment, some examples of details to include are below, but please provide us with any information you think is relevant. Please write 100-200 words
What do you need the grant money for?
We want to understand what you plan to buy, how much you plan to buy, and why this will help you to scale your community mapping efforts. There are two tables for you to fill in your response, and you may add more rows as needed. Some examples are in the table for your reference. You are welcome to use a different format in your response, but please make sure to include these details.
We need a strong multipurpose equipment which allows us to install and use all kinds of tools needed to transmit quality video conferences and install applications, equipped with a microphone, camera and lighting of semi-professional quality, in order to provide an improved quality of teaching materials. This notebook will be available to Project members during or after the project.
With this equipment and the collaboration of the community, we plan:
- Improve GLAM-related tags and keys (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums, Monuments, Heritage...)
- Complete the mapping of the GLAM NodeWayRelations of Argentina and their entries in Wikidata
- Organize workshops in museums and invite new editors to map cultural elements
- Improve map leaflet development for Buenos Aires Museums and Argentine Museums
- Produce quality teaching materials, for new and intermediate audiences oriented to the project's objectives but always reusable for other purposes and OSM community projects. That is: The manuals to be produced by ID or JOSM (for example) will deal with the subject of GLAM, but will be easily applicable for other purposes or groups.
Give your budget breakdown here. If you would like to present your budget in a tabular format, you can use this tool to convert your spreadsheet into a wikitable and paste the code below here
- Please note that both values and inputs may vary depending on the existence in the local market.
- The remaining budget, if any, will be used to complete other objectives or to expand the scope of he objectives
- The expenses that exceed the budget will be contributed by a sponsor
- The appropriate hardware is essential to create quality products (the microphone, lighting and camera are essential to produce videos that last over time and are easily consumable)
|Item||What do you plan to spend the money on?||Expected cost per unit (in Euros)||Quantity you plan to buy / subscription length||Expected total cost (in Euros)||Why is it needed? (Please give as much detail as possible.)|
|1||Hardware||2200||1||2200||The kit includes a notebook, case and basic broadcast equipment on the platforms, including a webcam, a studio-quality microphone and a kit with the necessary lighting.|
|2||Training/Meetings||100||7||700||We plan to organize 7 mapping training events. Introducing OSM. How to map, basic skills. ID Editor, JOSM editor, Indoor mapping... Snack for participants, logistic (outside the pandemic period)|
|3||Digital Ocean||60||12||720||2-3 instances to host Open Source tools. Install, Admin & Technical support level 2-3|
|4||Desarrollo||20||10||200||Improve Leaflet map development|
|5||Video Conferencing||15||12||180||Pro account to host participants & videos during web conferencing. (Webex, Zoom...)|
|6||Delivery/Logistics Costs||15||30||450||For delivering equipment for speakers, during pandemic period; for delivering gifts & others|
|7||Administrative expenses||500||1||480||10% of administrative costs, transfers and accounting support|
Items provided by a sponsor
|8||Social media advertising||100||6||600||The amount will be used to promote cyclical events on social networks|
|9||Gift for Guest Speaker||20||9||180||Gift for speaker|
If you receive a grant, what do you aim to achieve?
It is recommended that this supports mission of the OSM Foundation and your local community. Please provide us with any information you think is relevant including the metrics you expect to achieve. Please write 100-200 words.
- Improve GLAM-related tags & keys [ex: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ES:Argentina/Cultura/GLAM/Museos]
- Complete the data of Museums, Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Monuments and Heritage in Argentina and provide support to other Spanish speaking communities (LatAM+Spain)
- Produce documentation under CC-SA-BY license to facilitate the entrance of new members to the community
- Produce 'quality' ES documentation for OSM edition, ID, JOSM & Indoor Mapping particularly for Museums, Monuments and Heritage
Do you receive funding from any other sources at the moment?
If you receive funding from other organisations currently, please state how much this is, whether the donations are regular or one off, and how these funds have been raised. Please write no more than 300 words. If you have any sources of co-funding for this grant application, please provide details. Examples of this might be if you have any partners who would be willing to match grant funding if you receive it, or if your project has existing funding. Please provide as much detail as possible.
The project has, since its start, the collaboration and contributions of Museos Abiertos, and currently we do not have another way of financing but, if we obtain a first aid from OSMF, it will undoubtedly be much easier for us to apply for other grants.
A support from the OSMF is of primordial help, not only for the economic contribution, but it would give us better and greater visibility, thus achieving a great number of adherents and collaborators, our main wealth.
Is there anything you would like OSMF to support you with?
If there is anything which you would like OSMF to support you with in order to strengthen your project, please let us know. For example, this could include building relationships with OSM communities, sourcing updated imagery for mapping projects, or guidance on how to use some of the tools we have created. We want to do our best to support OSM communities, so please let us know what you need. Please write no more than 150 words.
It would be very important for us to be able to count on the collaboration, in the first instance, of the Spanish-speaking communities, in order to be able to significantly advance the project and then, yes, to be able to 'internationalize' it.
It would also be very important for us to be fully aware of the set of tools available and all those that help us to exploit data and metadata
Please note that this project also produces other types of work related exclusively to the GLAM and Open Content domains, for example,
- Our first paper “Towards a semantic model for heritage description”
- Maps projects & Leaflet Map: https://mapas.museosabiertos.org/
- GLAM Data Consolidation https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dPlYEmeL-m0k9K1TOwkZQzFD1D9iiHRFpSyVZkksZ38/edit#gid=1617263479
By submitting this form to the OpenStreetMap Foundation, you certify the information contained in this application is correct, and that if you are awarded a grant, you will use it only for the purposes described above. You will provide written documentation and receipts for all of your expenses to the OSM Foundation to demonstrate this. You understand that the decisions made by the OSM Foundation Microgrants committee are final.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I have collaborated with the GLAM project for a long time. I hope that the financial support can be made to improve the mapping! --Hernan (talk) 20:36, 10 May 2020 (UTC)
- Financial support is a key issue for every project that want to scale. I think that any help to activities of this project will be beneficial for OSM and its community, fostering the interest of new community members in it and also it would enhance completitude and quality of data about GLAM related elements.--Zalitoar (talk) 22:23, 10 May 2020 (UTC)
- Since the Argentine territory is too large, with a low density of active collaborators who are scattered in uneven parts and a need to improve the data on the map, it is necessary to be able to finance a project like this in order to have quality and well-documented data, attract new users and generate feedback. Mweper (talk) 22:30, 10 May 2020 (UTC)
- Great! Argentinean Community needs support for mapping its vast territory. This can promote new thematic initiatives in the local osm community.Hcastellaro (talk) 23:35, 10 May 2020 (UTC)
- Wonderful idea! OSM Argentina is in times of growing and a project like this will empower all ours efforts to make a more complete and useful map for everyone. Juanblas09 (talk) 02:36, 10 May 2020 (UTC)
- Having all Museums, Monuments and Heritage of Argentina (and potentially all Spanish speaking countries) in OSM would be a great addition. Also the proposed knowledge base could ease the newcomers editors learning curve. --Ignaciolep (talk) 17:23, 11 May 2020 (UTC)
- The OSM community in Argentina has been working on the GLAM project for a long time. The work of martingggg has been especially remarkable. However, the entire Argentinean community has collaborated in the project, thanks to the fact that they are a very lively and participatory community. The GLAM project is not exclusive to Argentina, as it can be replicable and deployable in any country in the world. The financial support would be very useful to make this fantastic project known in Argentina and all over the world. --Dcapillae (talk) 22:08, 11 May 2020 (UTC)
- few think of practical ways on how to contribute to the common good of OSM, this proposal is one of them, there is a real need to have good Spanish manuals, video tutorials and face-to-face workshops. xoxo, —-mp MichaelPalacio (talk) 19:00, 17 May 2020 (UTC)
Craig Allan : This is presented as a data development project. My preference is to support the development and enlargement of the OSM community or OSM systems, not the development of data. Perhaps the community will be involved, but it is not clear. Developing OSM systems is attractive in this case as specifying a network of ontologies to describe the semantics of both cultural and natural heritage is just a fancy way of saying "design a tagging system". I could support that.
- Hi, Craig, Thank you very much for your support! Forgive me if the project was not very clear, but the objective is mixed. The goal is to produce high quality documentation and online workshops in the handling of OSM, ID, JOSM, etc. while dealing with a specific topic: GLAM Martingggg (talk) 16:22, 16 May 2020 (UTC)