OSM Map On Garmin/mtb map
To download readymade Mountainbike maps visit http://openmtbmap.org
Creating a topographical Mtb Map for Garmin Mapsource
Process is described here. render openmtbmap with mkgmap
- Mkgmap newest version
- mkgmap splitter newest version
- Java 1.6
- For Contourlines SRTM2OSM
- Mapsettoolkit to write registry values for Garmin Mapsource
- OSM File (I use the country dumps from geofabrik)
- If you want to edit your typfile you can either edit directly in text and then compile, use Maptk.
Typfiles are only used by Garmin Color PNAs, so Garmin Units with B/W display are prived from these maps. A new investment into a garmin color unit like the Vista HCx or the 60CSx might be better than investing lots of time into an outdated model.
- See mkgmap mailing list.
Missing MTB and Bicycle information in OSM
- Get out there, upload your tracks into Openstreetmap, correct tags (i.e. reversing the direction of a way with JOSM so that the oneway attributes are correct - way needs to down the mountain if it is downhill only), and help with the definition files here and with osm_composer. There is a lot to do!!!
- A Digital Elevation Model (DEM) should be added, basically the same process as for the Hiking Map could be used: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/HikingBikingMaps but no one has found out how Garmin implemented the DEM into their maps - the only way to do it would therefore be to use a pirated copy of Garmin MPC. As of Mapsource 6.16.1 / Basecamp 3.0.1 normal contourlines are enough for a profile to be generated. The quality of the profile is of course not as good as if one would incorporate a proper DEM.
New Screenshots, incorporating the mtb:scale proposal
Old Screenshots / Map Rendering (dated, don't take account of mtb:scale yet)
- Mkgmap The software behind the osm -> img conversion
- Mkgmap/dev Development Page for Mkgmap. I currently use revision 685 for rendering my maps. I don't know if any essential features are missing in stable 590.
- Srtm2osm The software responsible for creating the contourlines for altitude.
- Mountainbiketours How to tag Mountainbikeroutes
- Mountainbike How to tag Mountainbikeways