OSM Map On MapSource
Integration of OSM maps in Garmin MapSource (including Mapsource 6.16.2)
This page is intended for MS Windows users only! Note: MapSource (6.13.7) can be run on Linux under wine. Follow instructions on any of the tutorials below to get it working on your Linux machine:
Very short: It works!
The process has been tested with these 2 maps from https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:Computerteddy
"Germany" (in fact it is much bigger than just Germany) dated June 11, 2009
"Europe" dated Jan 14, 2009
According to Thomas Hog the Garmin Training Center (Software for Forerunner units) will work with this method as well.
After having downloaded MapSetToolkit and the map this process takes less than a minute.
The latest Version of MapSetToolkit is 1.77 - you MUST use a recent version of MapSetToolKit to get the typfile to work!
The map must be registered correctly in the Windows registry. This is very easy using Mapsettoolkit.
Downloading data: large areas
- Load MapSetToolkit: http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/ (the working like for the download is https://sites.google.com/site/cypherman1/MapSetToolKit_v1.77.zip ).
- Unzip it an store it at some place. Installation is not needed.
- Obtain a map. If you create your own maps using mkgap, then the intermediate .img files that that creates (before you bundle them together into a gmapsupp.img) will work.:
- If you need to download a map from elsewhere:
- Germany map at http://openstreetmap.teddynetz.de/latest/deutschland.tgz
- European map at http://openstreetmap.teddynetz.de/latest/eu.tgz
- Any other map might work as well. See the Download-Section in the wiki.
- TYP File http://openstreetmap.teddynetz.de:81/latest/new/teddy.typ
- If you need to download a map from elsewhere:
Registering in MapSource
- Close Mapsource
- If you need to, unpack the data.
- Run MapSetToolkit as Administrator, as it has to modify the registry.
- Select IMG, select the folder containing the .img files you want to load, select all, add, select all (at right).
- Create and choose a mapset directory. Enter a mapset name. Choose a (numeric) family ID.
- Download the free version of cgpsmapper.exe from https://web.archive.org/web/20160817191046/http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm and select that from "cgpsmapper.cpreview folder".
- Tick “Install in mapsource” in the right bottom part of the window
- Click “Start”
- When complete, open Mapsource. You should now be able to "select a product" and switch between "No Map", "Trip and Waypoint MAnager" (installed by default) and your new map.
If you want to uninstall your map, close MapSource and use the uninstall button in MapSetToolkit. After that MapSource will be fine again.
Updating maps (periodically)
If you want to replace your maps with some new ones generated from new OSM data, you can do this:
- exit Mapsource
- in MapSetToolkit, delete the OSM-map (using the uninstall button)
- delete the files on disk
- start over at step 3 of downloading data
alternatively, you can have multiple OSM maps available to Mapsource at the same time - just choose a different Mapset name.
Thats the content of the Registry (32bit versions of Windows):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Products] "InstallDir"="C:\\Garmin\\" @="" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Products\1] "TDB"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM_DE\\63239999.tdb" "LOC"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM_DE" "BMAP"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM_DE\\63239999.img"
And here it is for 64bit versions of Windows such as Windows 10:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\Mapsource\Products] "InstallDir"="C:\\Garmin\\" @="" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\Mapsource\Products\1] "TDB"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM_DE\\63239999.tdb" "LOC"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM_DE" "BMAP"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM_DE\\63239999.img"
The second set will only be available if you've selected a TDB file and overview map. Mapsettoolkit claims the OSM map is a "Product" and the name MUST be "1".
Instructions for using smaller OSM files
If you would like to download a smaller files exported from the site OSM directly; such as an individual town follow this process.
- Export the data from OSM navigate to the area you wish to use on the main map . Click on the export tab and chose the OpenStreetMap XML Data option, then download.
- Convert the OSM file into an IMG file using Mkgmap or GroundTruth. Make sure that the file is saved as an 8 figure number e.g. 46378291.img. This is because mapsource only recognises files saved in this way.
- Install the data in MapSource: Instructions for using Mapset toolkit with individual IMG files can be found here 
Using TYP Files
In case you want to pimp the visual appearance of the map using a TYP file, select "convert to Family" in Mapsettoolkit before Install. Then select the TYP file. I did use "1" for Registry and Family ID. MapSetToolkit will ask if it is allowed to update the map to the selction, and it should be granted.
Using that you can even try different TYP files (downloaded or your own one). You can update / generate TYP Files for instance at : http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi
On the down side this slows down map redraw significantly.
Send data to a Garmin device
Just use mkgmap for this - create a gmapsupp.img and (typically) copy that to the "Garmin" folder of the SD card in the device.
Alternatively, you can use sendMap: http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm
You may want to check the German Version of this page (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:OSM_Map_On_MapSource) as well or a procedure based on this and many other pages but presented on a single page (search for "dione osm mapsource"; sorry, site policy blocks insertion of the link).