|Proposal status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Definition:||A bore used for a purpose not covered by petroleum_well or water_well|
This proposal suggests a new tag man_made=borehole for Boreholes, which may be used for bores that are not covered by man_made=petroleum_well or man_made=water_well.
It also proposes that the tag direction=extraction/injection/both may be used in combination.
There is already a tag for petrol/oil/gas wells: man_made=petroleum_well. There is also a tag for water wells, man_made=water_well.
However, none of these work for geothermal bores, or boreholes used for monitoring/probing/research.
They should be mapped as a Node, tagged with man_made=borehole. Just like petroleum_well and water_well.
There are two relevant subkeys:
- substance=* - the substance coming in or out of the bore, if any
- direction=extraction/injection/both - whether the substance is coming out of the ground, or into the ground. See Injection well. If not specified, extraction is implied by default.
|Purpose of the bore||Tag|
|Extraction of petrol/oil/gas||man_made=petroleum_well + substance=petrol/oil/gas|
|Extraction of water||man_made=water_well|
|Extraction of geothermal steam||man_made=borehole + substance=steam + (direction=extraction - optional, implied)|
|Extraction of superheated geothermal water||man_made=borehole + substance=hot_water + (direction=extraction - optional, implied)|
|Re-injection||man_made=borehole + substance=* + direction=injection|
|Both re-injection and extraction||man_made=borehole + substance=* + direction=both|
|Probing for a substance||man_made=borehole|
|Unknown purpose or unknown substance being extracted||man_made=borehole|
Discouraged tag combinations:
- man_made=borehole + substance=petrol/oil/gas - in most situation you should use man_made=petroleum_well instead
- man_made=borehole + substance=water - in most situation you should use man_made=water_well instead
- As always in OSM, if a bore is only used temporarily and then filled back up, you should not map it.
- If the physical hole or structure remains, but is not being used, then man_made=borehole can be used with disused=yes
A Drilling rig digging a bore
Maps that render man_made=petroleum_well should consider rendering this tag.
- Tag:man_made=petroleum_well (under see-also)
- Tag:man_made=water_well (under see-also)
- Key:man_made (add to list)
- Map Features (add to list)
Please comment on the discussion page.