Proposed features/Document pedestrian crossing hierarchy
|Further refinement for nodes already tagged with highway=crossing or railway=crossing|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
|Status:||Draft (under way)|
|Definition:||where pedestrians and bicycle users may cross roads|
We should clarify the meaning of existing tags in the wiki and perhaps suggest a slight tweak to make it sustainable. A major reworking of the whole system is out of scope of this proposal.
Based on values from taginfo:
- crossing=yes (most generic)
- crossing=controlled is with traffic signals or with police people or similar
- crossing=traffic_signals is with traffic lights. So implies crossing=controlled
- crossing=uncontrolled can be crossing=marked or crossing=unmarked. So either one of them implies crossing=uncontrolled
- zebra is marked but uncontrolled (if it is controlled you can use other value)
- pelican,panda,tigger,toucan,pegasus are controlled with traffic lights
- pelican and panda is only with traffic lights .Pelican is the evolution of panda
- tigger means bicycle=designated and toucan means bicycle=yes.
- pegasus means horse=designated
All the animal stuff is British. They called the crossing like with some characteristic thing of some animals.
-  Zebra: with black and white poles called Belisha Beacons. In the UK they are uncontrolled but marked.
-  Pelican:(previously pelicon crossing, which stood for "pedestrian light controlled crossing"). Crossing with traffic lights and a button to cross. Controlled traffic sign crossing.
-  Panda:As pelican but with a "light traffic light" with two lights for drivers and only the word cross for the pedestrian people
-  Tigger: iniatially was yellow and black. Now are the crossing for bicycles. Attached to the zebras
-  Toucan: "Since two-can, both pedestrians and cyclists, cross together, the name "toucan" was chosen." Big sense of humour. If you take a Tigger and a pelican then you will have a Toucan crossing. Controlled with traffic lights and a button. If the button and the pedestrian/cyclist traffic light is at the same place when you start to crossing and not in the opposite it is called puffin crossing 
-  Pegasus: for horses
-  https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/crossing#values
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelican_crossing#Details
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_crossing
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing#Tiger_crossing
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toucan_crossing
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffin_crossing
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_crossing
- Copy & pasted the excellent description of "yo paseopor" from the mailing list, thank you for this writeup!