Proposed features/Events centre
|Status:||Draft (under way)|
|Definition:||A place where events with a huge amount of people happen. For example, exhibition fairs, conventions, conferences|
This proposal aims to describe places where huge events happen, like exhibition halls, exposition centres, convention centres, and conference centres. They host regional, national or international events. They have dedicated buildings and services.
We distinguish two categories :
- Exposition centre : also known as exhibition hall, it's one or more buildings with an area between 5000 and 100000 m2. These buildings have a flat and contiguous floor, and provided equipments are moveable. They are located around cities, in order to be able to receive a huge amount of visitors (thousands of visitors). They host all kind of events (professional shows, public demonstrations, sometimes cultural events, ...). Here are some examples.
- Conference centre : also known as convention centre, it's one building with several conference rooms, amphitheatres, meeting rooms, exhibition rooms and an hotel. They host professional or political events or fairs. This kind of event lasts for a few days, that's why there is an hotel. The amount of visitors is reduced (hundreds of visitors). Also some examples :
Currently, there is no clear description of this kind of objects. Some tags are used, but only on a few objects.
- amenity=community_centre in some cases, but it's not the goal of this tag.
Moreover, there is a confusion between the different kinds of events centre. The idea is to create a comprehensive tag to make it simple to describe.
To tag events centre, two situations :
- When there are no other choices (low-quality imagery), put a node on the estimated centre of the object. Put the tag amenity=events_centre on it.
- When it's possible, we will describe events centre with an area.
- If the events centre is a single building, put amenity=events_centre on the building area. Also add building=* to know that it's a building and not a land area.
- If the events centre contains several buildings, create an area to describe the whole site. Put amenity=events_centre on this area. It's not necessary to add the events_centre tag on each building in the area.
Then, you may precise the kind of events centre, to do this use events_centre=* :
- events_centre:exhibition=yes for exposition/exhibition centres.
- events_centre:conference=yes for conference/convention centres.
- Both when the site can do both.
To describe further the events centre, you can add those tags.
- name=* : the name of the centre, for example San Diego Convention Center
- operator=* : the name of the company which manages the centre
- contact=* : contact details
Objects in the events centre area
Some features can be commonly found in events centre.
- Parking : amenity=parking
- Toilets : amenity=toilets
- Restaurant : amenity=restaurant
The scheme in this proposal has been applied on some examples.
- Exhibition centres
- : an exhibition centre in France (as a land polygon), which also hosts some cultural events.
- : a smaller exhibition centre in France (as a site relation).
- Conference centres
- : a conference centre in France (as a single building), which also hosts cultural events.
As this kind of object is not really described, no feature is really affected. A wiki page will be created to document this tag.
- Use exhibition instead of exposition as events_centre=* sub-key, as the term is already used in OSM.