Proposed features/shelter type
|The Feature Page for the approved proposal Shelter type is located at Key:shelter_type.|
|Definition:||A tag to refine an object mapped with amenity=shelter|
|Rendered as:||Depends on the value|
The original proposal for amenity=shelter back from 2006 was very vaguely phrased. While it's original intention was meant for shelters in the mountains, it is now used for everything that can act as a shelter. This is problematic since some kinds of shelters are more important than others and should therefore be rendered differently (or not at all). The most current example is the use of amenity=shelter for bus/train shelters along bus routes, which the currently approved proposal for public transport encourages to map. While mountain shelters are (and should be) rendered prominently at mid zoom levels, it only makes sense to render bus shelters at the very highest zoom level, or otherwise the map gets covered in shelter symbols for city areas. Currently there is no consistent way of classifying different kind of shelters and give renderers/routing programs a chance to handle them individually (see trac ticket 3346), this is why this proposal introduces a new key to solve that issue.
The more obvious choise shelter=* couldn't be used, since it is already used to add the information, if a shelter exists, to other, more generic, objects. Example: shelter=yes mapped to an object tagged with public_transport=platform.
The list isn't fixed; it can be extended by additional values if needed.
Used for small shelters in the mountains or alongside roads in the countryside. In contrast to alpine huts not meant as a place to sleep, eat or live, except for emergency cases (for example if a thunderstorm comes up). Rendering for this kind of shelters is equal to the current style (hut symbol, rendered at zoomlevel 16 and higher). If shelter_type=* isn't mapped explicitly, shelter=* should be interpreted as a weather shelter for backward compatibility.
Small shelters found at stops/platforms along train or bus routes. Since they are very common in bigger cities, rendering should be adopted so they are only rendered at the highest zoom level, preferably with a different kind of symbol, than the hut symbol for mountain shelters.
Incorporates the ideas from the (abandoned?) proposal for bird hides. For further refinement should be extended with the key wildlife_hide=* and an appropriate value (not part of this proposal). Examples: wildlife_hide=birds.
Changes based on comments from the RFC phase
- changed the value "mountain_shelter" to "weather_shelter". (Dri60)
Voting is now closed. 14 users voted "yes", 3 user voted "no". Proposal has reached the minimum amount of 15 votes and 8 approving votes. The proposal is approved with a majority of 82%.
- I approve this proposal. --Flaimo 13:36, 15 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Extremecarver 14:32, 15 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Dri60 17:40, 15 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Al3xius 23:49, 15 May 2011 (BST) I would suggest a new value, something like "vehicle_shelter" (e.g. the roofs where you leave your vehicle under in parking areas).
- i think that is already covered with building=roof or covered=yes. but you are free to use your own values for shelter_type --Flaimo 08:42, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --MetiorErgoSum 08:43, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Seoman 09:16, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. -- Dieterdreist 13:29, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. in this form. A new standalone-tag like amenity=weather_shelter would be o.k.--R-michael 18:05, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Fabi2 18:24, 16 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. Not all things shelter are an amenity=shelter - rather extend shelter=*. Normally *_type as a key has been avoided. Alv 10:20, 18 May 2011 (BST)
- I oppose this proposal. - shelter is far too vague, better to tag what sort of amenity it actually is, and what it is for. There --Vclaw 13:20, 18 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Michi 20:30, 22 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Polyglot 15:14, 23 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Gzin 10:13, 24 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --Sean Horgan 18:46, 24 May 2011 (BST)
- I approve this proposal. --dcp 15:25, 27 May 2011 (CET)
- I approve this proposal. --jklippel 09:24, 28 May 2011 (BST)
Post voting changes
- Added picnic shelter as a value based on feedback in the comments. (MikeN)
- Removed example of hunting stands, since it is already covered through other tags. (mailinglist)