Sentinel-2 is an ESA programme of earth observation satellites. Among others, it provides worldwide 10 m resolution colour imagery.
EU law grants free access to Copernicus Sentinel Data and Service Information for the purpose of the following use in so far as it is lawful:
- (a) reproduction;
- (b) distribution;
- (c) communication to the public;
- (d) adaptation, modification and combination with other data and information;
- (e) any combination of points (a) to (d).
Sentinel data is already listed as available to OSM, at: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#EU_Copernicus_.28GMES.29_data
- Worldwide coverage in 10 m resolution and full colour
- Very recent, imagery updated between every month to every two weeks and available just a few days after sensing date
- Published data needs to be processed into usable background imagery by the end user
- Tiles may be cloud covered, check the thumbnails before processing
- Resolution only sufficient to trace major roads and landuse features.
- TrickyFoxy's diary | Fresh Sentinel-2 in your editors. With QGIS, but easier
- (most recent imagery, monthly limit?) Using a Copernicus WMTS Link. You need to sign up for free and create an "instance" using the "configuration utility" which you can then call using the generated Instance and Layer IDs like this:
This service seems to have a monthly limit, shown in your dashboard, so use it sparingly.
- For the EOX cloudless Sentinel-2 layer, activate directly in JOSM. For use with other programs, such as iD, you can use
- 2020 (WMS):
- 2021 (WMTS):
Replace the "2020_3857" above with "2019_3857" for the 2019 cloudless version, etc for prior years. See also the WMTS and WMS links on https://s2maps.eu/ for possibly more recent cloudless versions and other mosaic endpoints (do note that the licensing of the other mosaics is disputed and may be technically/legally unfit for tracing).
Please note that "Attribution as described at https://s2maps.eu/#license must be provided in a suitable OpenStreetMap changeset tag", eg the source tag.
- If you need the maximum possible resolution or more recent imagery, you can download unprocessed data directly from ESA and convert it to a background layer. See User:Ff5722/Using Sentinel-2 imagery and an addendum to this manual.
- A plugin to use Sentinel Hub backgrounds directly with JOSM is proposed, see ticket #14921
The following links are for preview only and are not licensed for OSM use.