State of the Map 2022/Call for venues
About State of the Map
In recent years the annual OpenStreetMap conference State of the Map has attracted 300-400 attendees. Normally it runs for three days; the weekend plus either Friday or Monday.
SotM has started in a traditional conference format. But we also have some unconference elements which we appreciate. Our vision is sufficiently broad to accept all styles of bid - we're open to new ideas if you provide a compelling case.
How to apply for SotM 2022
Would you and your team like to apply for holding SotM 2022 in your city?
For a proper official application please complete the following steps:
- Call for venues open: 15th April 2021
- Submit your proposal by: 15th August 2021
- We try to decide for the venue 2022 in September 2021 (we will inform the teams immediately after the decision).
- Announcement of venue 2022 in October 2021
- also observe other relevant event dates, e.g. avoid FOSS4G and local SotMs
Fallback: virtual conference
If the covid situation continues in 2022 it could be possible that we have to cancel the in-person conference and organize a virtual conference as we did in 2020 and 2021. If that is the case we expect that the local team of 2022 also support the virtual conference. The intention is to give the virtual conference the local flavour in that case.
The function of the following list is to show how the SotM working group analyze a bid. Don't worry if your bid doesn't comply with each single criterion. But you should have a reservation for a venue for a proper date and a confirmation by the venue operator.
- How many group members does the team have?
- How are the team and the group members connected to OpenStreetMap?
- Do some group members have experience in organizing a larger conference?
- Is the form fully filled out?
- Reservation of the the venue (contract shouldn't be signed, but the local team should have the confirmation of the venue operator)
- For how many visitors is the venue suitable?
- Size of auditoriums
- Size of foyer
- Floor plan with auditoriums, foyer and breakout rooms
- Are there spaces for breakout sessions?
- Is there wheelchair access?
- Is the calculation filled out with the costs for venue and catering?
- Is the venue cost acceptable?
- Is the catering cost acceptable?
- What infrastructure does the place have?
- Is it a LGBT friendly space?
- What about medical and travel safety?
- What about terrorism or crime?
- How good is the place reachable internationally?
- What kind of visa restrictions are there?
- Is the venue available at proper dates?
- Are there conflicts with other conferences (local SotM, Foss4G)
Funding (minor criterion)
- Can we expect additional regional sponsors?
- Is there administrative support or other support?
Other special features of the venue
- Are there any other special features of the venue that we should consider?
How to run a conference
Contact SotM Working Group
Do you need help with your bid? Or do you have any questions? Please contact SotM working group via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The bids do not have to be in a final version to be listed here, so you may be able to work on it collectively. Because that's what a wiki is all about....