Jump to navigation Jump to search
|memorial = ghost_bike|
|Specifies a memorial as a ghost cycle: a white bicycle to commemorate a cyclist who died in traffic|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
A ghost cycle (also known as a White Bicycle, White Bike, Ghost Bike or Witte Fiets) is bicycle painted white which is permanently placed as memorial for a victim of a road accident, in particular a cyclist who has lost their life.
These cycles are often placed by citizens as guerilla act.
How to map
Add historic=memorial, together with memorial=ghost_bike
Tags to use in combination
- name=* can be used for the name of the victim. Always be careful! Respect the privacy of the victim and the family. Only add the name of the victim if it is written on the bike or when it has been published elsewhere. Opt to only add the given name and use an abbreviation for the family name.
- start_date=* - to indicate when the ghost bike was placed.
- inscription=* - if there is some text written on it.
- source=* - can be used to point to an article about the accident and/or placing of the ghost bike.
Maps showing ghost bikes
- Another Map with ghost-bikes from Pieter Vander Vennet. See more details on the mailing list.
- Toronto ghost bikes and worldwide
- OsmAnd renders all memorials, including ghost bikes.