|site_type = megalith|
|To specify an archaeological site as a megalith - large stone(s) that has been used to construct a structure or monument.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
is a large stone that has been used to construct a structure or monument, either alone or together with other stones. The word "megalithic" describes structures made of such large stones without the use of mortar or concrete, representing periods of prehistory characterised by such constructions.
For alignments (settings) of small stones it may be better to use the tag site_type=minilith. Note that the size at which a stone is classified as a minilith rather than a megalith is not well defined.
How to map
Tag it with:
- In many cases the megaliths can be further differentiated, as in:
- megalith_type=dolmen - (en)(fr), Großsteingrab(de) - single-chamber megalithic tomb
- megalith_type=tholos - - beehive megalithic tomb
- megalith_type=menhir - (en)(fr), Hinkelstein(de) - large upright standing stone
- megalith_type=alignment - Megalithic Alignment or (en), alignement mégalithique(fr), Steinreihe(de)
- megalith_type=stone_circle - , Steinkreis(de), cromlech(fr)
- megalith_type=stone_ship - or Ship setting
- megalith_type=cist - is a small stone-built coffin-like box.
- megalith_type=passage_grave - , Ganggrab(de)
- megalith_type=long_barrow - , also called Langbett(de) = long bed
- megalith_type=chamber - only fragments of the grave are visible and the type can no longer be identified.
- megalith_type=nuraghe - is the main type of ancient megalithic edifice found in Sardinia.
- megalith_type=well -
megalith_type=grosssteingrab- Avoid! Prefer the English word dolmen - single-chamber megalithic tomb, best known as (en)(fr), or (de), aka Hünengrab(de) – not to be confused with a hill tomb, or tumulus(fr), aka Hügelgrab(de)!
- moved=yes - if the megalith is not on his original location. (de)
Tags to use in combination
- wikipedia=* - a link to Wikipedia's article
- wikidata=* - an ID of the specific Wikidata item
- historic:civilization=* (or more precise subtags) - the civilization (culture) that originally created the feature
- tourism=attraction - if the megalith is a tourist attraction.
- heritage=* - megalith is registered by an official heritage organisation.