|A typological system for archaeological sites|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
- site_type=bigstone - Natural stones that have been treated by humans are also listed here. Undecorated stones, even when they have mystic backgrounds or meanings, are not archaeological objects, and are mapped as natural=stone.
- site_type=geoglyph - - an ancient large design or motif (generally longer than 4 metres) on the ground formed by clastic rocks of the landscape.
- site_type=tumulus - - a mound of earth and stones raised over a grave or graves. Tumuli are also known as barrows, burial mounds, Hügelgrab(de) or kurgans.
- site_type=megalith - (en)(de), mégalithe(fr) - a structure or monument constructed from one or more stone boulders, decorated or undecorated.
- site_type=necropolis - - a large ancient cemetery with elaborate tomb monuments
- site_type=fortification - moats or mounds as remains of former fortifications
- fortification_type=* - in many cases the fortifications can be further differentiated so you should add this tag as well.
- site_type=hut_circle - A is the archaeological term given to a circular or oval depression in the ground with evidence of a low stone wall around it that used to be the foundation of a round house.
- site_type=settlement - places where humans (or hominins) lived. Such sites contains manmade tools, weapons, pottery and various houseware, which form cultural layers. Usually those sites has no buildings or only foundations of buildings left. If there is some buildings or walls left, use ruins=* or other appropriate tags.
- site_type=roman_circus - (historic:civilization=ancient_roman implied)
- site_type=roman_theatre - (historic:civilization=ancient_roman implied)
Other undocumented (suggested) values
- roman_road - see also (also undocumented) road below + historic:civilization=ancient_roman/western_roman
- rock_art - probably could be tagged as petroglyph
- earthworks - most probably the same as earthwork
- tomb - consider using historic=tomb with tomb=*
- round_barrow - probably the same as (also undocumented) barrow + some subttype
- roman_fort - consider using historic=castle+castle_type=castrum instead + historic:civilization=ancient_roman/western_roman
- agricultural - see also (also undocumented) farm below
- rock_painting - probably could be tagged as petroglyph, see also (also undocumented) painting below
- standing_stone - rather use megalith+megalith_type=menhir instead
- deserted_medieval_village - see also village below + historic:civilization=*
- roman_wall - should better be (also undocumented) wall below + historic:civilization=ancient_roman/western_roman
- celtic_oppidum - a subtype of (also undocumented) oppidum above + historic:civilization=celtic
- stone_row - rather use megalith+megalith_type=alignment instead
- Bushman_Paintings - should better be (also undocumented) bushman_paintings without the capitals, see also (also undocumented) painting below + historic:civilization=*
- holly_well - a subtype of well above
- villa_rustica - use roman_villa instead, see also (also undocumented) villa below
- monolith - rather use megalith+megalith_type=* instead, or man_made=obelisk, or historic=monument+other tags
- grave_field - see also (also undocumented) cemetery below
- roman_waterpipeline - historic=acqueduct+ + historic:civilization=ancient_roman/western_roman
- medieval_castle - consider using historic=castle+castle_type=*+historic:civilization=* instead
- prehistoric_fort - consider using historic=castle+castle_type=*+historic:civilization=prehistoric instead
- cemetery - see also (also undocumented) grave_field above
- menhir - rather use megalith+megalith_type=menhir instead
- hill_fort - consider using historic=castle+castle_type=* instead
- long_barrow - probably the same as (also undocumented) barrow above + some subttype, rather use megalith+megalith_type=long_barrow
- ring_fort - consider using historic=castle+castle_type=* instead
- ringfort - probably the same as (also undocumented) ring_fort above
- villa - see also roman_villa above
- dolmen - rather use megalith+megalith_type=dolmen instead
- farm - see also (also undocumented) agricultural above
- sacrificial_site - note: "_site" is superfluous
- stone_circle - rather use megalith+megalith_type=stone_circle instead
Non conforming values or evident aliases or typos
cemetary- rather use (also undocumented) cemetery above civilization- rather use another value for the site type + historic:civilization=* Cross- should better be (also undocumented) cross above without the capital heritage- rather use another value for the site type + heritage=* medieval_castle- - see and rather use historic=castle+castle_type=defensive+historic:civilization=* instead. petroglyphs- rather use petroglyph instead Petroglyph- rather use petroglyph instead without the capital pictograph- probably the same as (also undocumented) pictogram above setlement- use settlement instead Stone_Cross- rather use (also undocumented) cross above without the capital + material=stone trapping_pit- probably the same as (also undocumented) trap_pit above tumuli- rather use tumulus instead Well- should better be (also undocumented) well above without the capital