|tourism = viewpoint|
|A place worth visiting, often high, with a good view of surrounding countryside or notable buildings.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A place where tourists, visitors, hikers might like to visit and take photographs. A place, often high, with a good view of surrounding countryside or notable buildings. Sometimes called a vista point or scenic area/point, lookout or overlook.
Some are identified by signs, many more can be identified from local knowledge or from your own visit and judgement.
This tag identifies a good view. Interesting objects or buildings themselves should rather be tagged with an appropriate value of tourism=*.
How to map
Direction of view
The direction of the view may be described by the direction=* tag, either by giving the main direction or the left and right limits (in this order).
|direction=W||View roughly to the west|
|direction=S-W||View from the south to the west|
|direction=330-30||Viewing angle of 60 degrees around the north|
|direction=70-110;250-290||Limited view to the east and west, no view to the north and south|
tourism=viewpoint name=Beachy Head direction=90-260 description=Views of the English Channel, France can be seen on a clear day
tourism=viewpoint man_made=tower tower:type=observation name=Panorama Tower
- On the OpenStreetMap standard layer as a viewpoint icon with name if set.
- On OpenTopoMap as a viewpoint icon with correct direction(s).
- On osmtools for debugging the direction value.
- information=map + map_type=toposcope (board indicating the direction to notable landscape features which can be seen from that point)
- amenity=binoculars (pair of binoculars fixed in place on a pole)
- on Wikipedia