Talk:Comparison of editors
Are different editors using different symbols or same symbols on the map ?
This page is obviously written to make a choice when one starts to edit for the first time.
A not experienced user as myself, will wonder if the use of several map editors might cause the map to be loaded with graphic informations and symbols, indicating the same things, but using different symbols.
Making the map more confusing is not the wanted result. A paragraph on this subject will help to understand what changes will result on the map, depending which editor is used. -- Merel 469
- No, all editors are interoperable. The symbols and map preview you see in the editors are just used by the editors. Not this exactly is saved into the main database but just information what the objects are in reality (tags). See the data of one of your last edits.
If several editors would use different tag presents or if you would use different tags manually, then, yes, then you would cause the map to be loaded with informations, indicating the same things, but using different tags.
- I hope that was understandable. It would be good if you could suggest a sentence or paragraph which conveys this information and would be understandable to "not experienced [users]" like you.
- Side note: please type --~~~~ or click the pencil icon at the end of your talk texts here in the wiki. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 13:15, 4 February 2014 (UTC)
It seems to be extremely rarely used and development appears to be stopped from looking at https://github.com/openstreetmap/merkaartor/commits/master Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 16:20, 6 May 2018 (UTC)
- Being an active merkaartor user I do understand the reason for removal wish (slow bugfixing that mostly happens once every few months). On the other side it is usable, has its known bugs (josm has its ones too, just new ones more often). If one can get it running then it is quite stable and more intuitive than JOSM (personal opinion). I would encourage new users to start with josm and if it's interface really does not fit then give a try with merkaartor. I would keep it listed on this page as long as it can be run on at least one current os. RM87 22:22, 6 May 2018 (UTC)
- Since this was posted, Merkaartor has been revived, has had a release in 2019, and a few commits to the repository in 2020. I would even contest the classification as "Abandoned" in the table that was added a few days ago. --Kevin Kofler (talk) 00:35, 4 January 2021 (UTC)
Remove programming language column?
What is the point of that column? For user it makes no difference at all whatever iD is written in JS or COBOL compiled to JS or developed as part of the browser and written in C++ Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 03:37, 19 February 2021 (UTC)