Talk:Data collection using your memory
Cleanup or delete
This page "Data collection using your memory", was set up by User:Xxzme in August 2015, along with a family of pages.
- Data collection using your memory
- Data collection using short descriptive comments
- Data collection using satnav tracelog
These were all prominently linked from (woven into) the Beginners' guide
He doesn't write good english, and a lot of the page doesn't actually make much sense. So this needs urgent cleanup of one sort or another.
It must be noted that User:Xxzme has since had to be blocked from the wiki, basically for messing things up faster than people can fix them, so we're left with this as part of the extensive mess which this user left behind, and we can't (and don't need to thank goodness) consult with Xxzme in tidying this up.
So... we can clean up by trying to fix the english errors and evolve this into something better, however I'm going to recommend we slash a burn a bit more boldly. I plan to de-link this content from the beginners guide and ...really I suggest we just delete it. While this group of pages is not completely without merit (there's the kernel of a worthwhile idea in there somewhere) If I were thinking through adding a new cluster of pages to the Beginners' Guide, I would do it completely differently, and I would rather do so, than try to fix this.
- Overall they don't seem so useful because they are something most people do naturally (without being told), but could have interesting bits for some people. I think they would be appropriate as a personal user essay (which is pretty much what it is) rather than some reference page. --Jgpacker (talk) 21:42, 22 December 2015 (UTC)
- There is also Data collection on site using multiple cameras, which is quite pointless. --Jgpacker (talk) 21:53, 22 December 2015 (UTC)
- Hmm There's lots of them: Category:Data collection technique.
- Data collection on site using a computer was Mapping on site using a netbook
- Data collection using voice recording (PDA) was PDA Voice Recording
- Data collection using video camera (Contour GPS Helmet Camera) was Video Mapping with the ContourGPS Helmet Camera
- Data collection when you travel at high speeds was High Speed Mapping
- Data collection when you travel long journeys was Long journeys
- I actually quite like the idea of a collection of pages with a "Data collection" title like this. There's a certain elegance to that... or there would be if it was done well. But there's no consistency. Some of these moved pages have a very narrow focus. The pages created by Xxzme were very wide in scope, but failing to cover the topic effectively. I'm still thinking delete and undo the moves
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 00:05, 18 May 2016 (UTC)
- I dereferenced all of them from the beginner guide as part of the cleanup. I dare say the guide was polluted by Xxzme, There were so many pointless instructions that people just do naturally, plus the guide had absolutely horrible coherence (and English skills). -- SwiftFast (talk) 06:58, 2 May 2017 (UTC)