Section moved from wiki page
- In addition to highway=footway and foot=yes, a UK public footpath might be tagged designation=public_footpath.
- A UK restricted byway (roughly equivalent to highway=bridleway but with some additional permissions) might be tagged designation=restricted_byway.
- A UK waterway (operated by British Waterways) might be tagged designation=cruiseway, designation=commercial, or designation=remainder.
- A UK road, in addition to the usual tags, might be tagged designation=strategic if it forms part of the Highways Agency's Strategic Road Network. (This is a better alternative to using one relation because relations are not categories.)
Comment moved from wiki page
- As far as I know, there are only four legal categories for Public Rights of Way in England and Wales. The systems different in Scotland and I don't know about that. So, for what it's worth, I would suggest avoiding the use of the term 'uk' (a) because it is not technically correct as Scotland and Northern Ireland are not included and (b) because I am not over keen on colons such as ":uk" or "uk:". The public right of way values for designation would then be:
- The use of these four tag values does not, of course, exclude the use of other values such as the suggested 'strategic' or :'cruiseway' where I do not have the expertise to comment.
- --Mikh43 16:38, 26 February 2009 (UTC)
I've long felt that there needs to be facility for physical characteristics eg track, service road, unclassified and legal characteristics eg foot, horse, cycle, motorcycle, vehicles. I've been using multiple tags up til now. -- John19:23, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
-- John19:23, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
Outside the uk. Duplicate of name
Does anybody has an opinion on the best way to rename this tag an clear the mess it is creating outside of UK ? For exemple, it is mostly used as a duplicate of name, or worse as a substitute for name. How can this be cured ?
-- Art Penteur 19:38, 8 December 2012 (UTC) :
UK Protected Area's designation tag
Why has the UK gone off on a different tack using 'designation' instead of Key:protection_title ?