Talk:Proposed features/Own dishes at takeaway restaurants
- I guess you mean takeaway:lunchbox=* instead (which is mentioned on the proposal page), right? Anyway, thanks for that! --Flo Edelmann (talk) 08:32, 7 February 2021 (UTC)
Thank's for that subject Stefanct ;) Concerning the takeaway:lunchbox=* (that's it Flo2154), you are right: that's about getting food in one own box or container. According to me, "container" is the best word to use... --User:Vivienmic (talk) 19:22, 7 February 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks Vivienmic for responding so quickly! I'll update the proposal then to deprecate takeaway:lunchbox=* in favor of the new tag (whatever specific naming it will be). --Flo Edelmann (talk) 21:40, 7 February 2021 (UTC)
As Brian M. Sperlongano and Stefan Tauner noted in the mailing list, the tag name is ambiguous, as "dishes" can also mean "a particular variety or preparation of food". They suggest instead. I support that idea. --Flo Edelmann (talk) 08:45, 7 February 2021 (UTC)
- Better yet takeaway:customer_container=* would be clearer, since "own" could refer to "the resturant's own container" or "the customer's own container". --Jeisenbe (talk) 06:08, 8 February 2021 (UTC)
Is this tag to be based on signage or is it subjective?
I believe it is best if this tag is based on verifiable information such as a sign or a stated policy on the website of the restaurant or including in a list of restaurants which commit to this practice. --Jeisenbe (talk) 06:10, 8 February 2021 (UTC)
- Where it is signed or posted on the website, we can rely on that information. For places where it is not signed, it is verifiable by asking the staff, e.g. while ordering takeaway food via phone. So it doesn't differ that much from the takeaway=* tag itself: Whether a place actually offers takeaway food is not signed either for many restaurants, so one also has to rely on local knowledge of the place. See also this discussion in the Tagging mailing list. --Flo Edelmann (talk) 12:11, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
A value for restaurant reusable container ?
Your tag is a good idea to highlight restaurants which allow own containers.
Some restaurants propose also their own containers with caution. The objective is the same but the mean is a little different. Is it a good idea to also include that ? --grosjen (talk) 10:40, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
- Good idea! There are also systems like RECUP; some restaurants might only accept these standardized containers instead of every customer's own ones. Maybe then a third value might make sense. --Flo Edelmann (talk) 12:34, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
Is it really takeaway?
I don't think takeaway:whatever is correct for this. Say I bring my own cup to a coffee shop. I can just as easily sit in said coffee shop and drink the coffee. I assume its the same with eating establishments. So in no way does it automatically make something "takeaway" just because I am using my own container. There's also instances, like gas station convience stores where you can refill your soda cup that it might be your own container, but no considers it "takeaway" anymore then buying a can of soda because literally everything they sell is. So something like a own_container=yes/no key, without the word takeaway would be better. I think its implied that if your using your own container that you can take it anyway. Otherwise, I'd love to see an example of a coffee shop where you can bring your own cup but are forced to only use it in the coffee shop.
Although, it's kind of vague, because maybe you could use your own container for one kind of thing, but not something else. So maybe own_container=drink, or own_container=food so its more specific would be good. Which can't be done with the current proposal can it? --Adamant1 (talk) 04:38, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
The concept of bringing your own packaging is not limited to takeaway food, but also is applicable to shops and other amenities. A common tagging scheme is needed, not a special solution for one special kind of avoiding waste.
- Discussion on tags for shops: https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=66456
- Reusable packaging proposal draft: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/reusable_packaging
Please vote on new proposal
The new proposal Proposed features/reusable packaging, which is broader and more fleshed out than this one, is open for voting until Sunday, May 30. Please add your vote and/or comments there. --Flo Edelmann (talk) 11:46, 23 May 2021 (UTC)