Discuss Tag:amenity=arts centre
What is an arts centre?
Can anybody please explain what an "arts centre" exactly is? Is it a kind of school where arts are taught? Can it be any public building in which arts are performed? Sorry, as a non-native speaker, I am unclear about this. --spaetz 08:05, 30 May 2007 (BST)
- I would define it as a (probably) not-for-profit venue at which a variety of arts are performed or conducted, and may well be involved with the creation of those works, and run occasional courses. Morwen 09:14, 30 May 2007 (BST)
- I'm confused too (and i'm in the U.K.!), I would perhaps consider an art centre to have workshops at times or be connected with a school. But I'm tagging art gallerys with this. - User:LastGrape 15:27, 26 September 2008
- The type I have in mind are places that hold multiple type of event. My local one, Wem Town Hall http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/202353641 holds different things, it has a gallery in the foyer where art exhibitions are held and the main hall is used for cinema, live comedy, live music, live streaming of London shows such as the National Theatre. I see these multi-arts venues as quite common outside cities where there is not the population to support multiple single use venues. trigpoint
- It seems to me that "arts centre" is a somewhat general place for art-centric activities whether they be exhibitions or performing art. Gallery is a bit more specialized from this and with the current tagging options a cultural center/centre would fall closest to this amenity=arts_centre (Allianze Francoises, etc). Any thoughts, anyone? --JaakkoH (talk) 18:33, 11 October 2014 (UTC)
User:David.earl October 19, 2006
How well would this scale? It's quite complicated. Could you produce a very small icon with a similar motif that is still recognisable? TomChance 10:25, 20 October 2006 (BST)
- I think it scales OK... . You'd only want to render things like this at large scales, and at such scales a buoldinglike this will be quite large on the map anyway.
- I think this icon isnt fitting with the others that are proposed. Its got a bit too much colour. Mabye a black wooden bit, with smaller paint blobs would look less glaring. Ben. 18:40 18th December 2006 (UTC)