New key for education
I think, all the educational institutions should be moved from "amenity" to the new "education" key: education=kindergarten, education=school, education=college, education=university, education=training. --Surly 18:12, 10 January 2011 (UTC)
- Is there a proposal for the Education key? --Guerda 09:00, 11 January 2011 (UTC)
- No. It was just my thoughts. If you can and want, create it. I speak and write English badly, and such long English texts would be difficult for me. --Surly 17:35, 11 January 2011 (UTC)
Some thoughts about "Education" key
Bringing educational institutions to the "Education" key will:
- allow us simplify rather overloaded "Amenity" key;
- make possible to find all the educational organization by searching only "education" key, no need to parse values of the tag in some cases;
- allow create many other types of educational organizations (today many OSMers resist to propose them because of overloaded nature of "amenity" key).
General education should be under values "kindergarten", "school", "college", "university". Short-term schools that train in various hobbies and useful skills and crafts (such as dancing, sewing, driving cars, light aviation flying) should not be tagged as "school". "training" value should be used, let's leave "school" only for general education of children.
There are also short-term professional traings (they train in professional skills, not hobbies), such as "Windows user", "Cisco admin". Should we tag them as "training" also? or should provide the special tag value for them?
--Surly 17:55, 11 January 2011 (UTC)
This sounds good, can we have a vote on it? --ChrisClemson 15:04, 15 September 2012 (BST)
Can you please decide if you want to have plural or singular in the value. Thanks Lulu-Ann
- I changed all items to singular. "Martial art" sounds a bit strange to me though. --Eliyak 19:28, 12 September 2011 (BST)
Refine tagging and explain values
You need to be more specific on the meaning of the proposed value. Just add a sentence or two.
I.e. driving: Is it limited to cars or is any kind of driving included (including, let's say, bicycles)? Is it a driving school or can it also be applied to any place which can be used to practise driving (“Verkehrsübungsplatz” in German)? The other values may need refinement, too.
Also, I think the whole thing needs to mention other tags of interest.
- operator=*: Who operates this facility
- name=*: The name of this facility (if applicable)
- fee=*: Whether a fee is charged