Talk:They are using OpenStreetMap
This page seems to mostly duplicate the function of the OSM Internet Links. It is probably not a good idea to have two similar pages with OSM user's lists, even though only the German version of the Internet Links is well populated. --Tordanik 07:08, 31 August 2015 (UTC)
- Aha, I missed that page. We can use old content, but title "They are using OpenStreetMap" is self-explanatory and better for promotion/SEO. It is not evident from "OSM Internet Links" that they are using OSM as slippymap/OSM data.
- Regarding German version, we have to use same structure (same tables, same heading) otherwise we will be doomed to update or sync these pages. Xxzme (talk) 08:04, 31 August 2015 (UTC)
- I agree that "OSM Internet Links" is not a good title, but "They are using ..." is very different stylistically from the titles we normally use. Perhaps "List of OpenStreetMap users" or "OpenStreetMap in the wild" could work?
- I also agree that we need to keep the titles in sync. The largest difference here seems to be that you are separating users of our data from map users. While that information is worthwhile, perhaps we could add it in the description text after the listing instead? The "OSM Internet Links" usually have some brief info after the link. --Tordanik 11:38, 2 September 2015 (UTC)
- We are not using wiki-maintenance terminology (list, category) in the promotional materials
- "in the wild" is a catchphrase, but I cannot translate it in any reasonable/useful manner. While it may sound attractive (like promotional title), but you don't want click-baiting in the promotional materials.
- Problem is that other titles are used Partners, "Users" will mainly mean Category:Users.
- We can use title starting with "OpenStreetMap ..." (OpenStreetMap in the media):
- OpenStreetMap users: from individuals to big companies or alternatives - it will explain and define article pretty well IMO. Xxzme (talk) 15:30, 2 September 2015 (UTC)
What's the point?
What's the point in this page?? A list of every "internet link" related in some way to openstreetmap? Perhaps we could generate it by scraping every external link on the wiki. No... wait... we could just scrape in the search results from googling "openstreetmap". This would be really useful because... not actually it wouldn't be useful at all.
The page title "OSM Internet Links" is hopelessly non-specific. The only reason to build lists of external sites, is if that list relates to something, which case you'd be better off building that list on a more specific wiki page no?
-- Harry Wood 18:48, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
Well the page started in german and lists a lot of bureaus and official websites that embedd OSM. Personaly I use it for presentations, to show up, that we are 'serious'. But yes a better focus would be appropriated :/ --!i! 07:41, 25 January 2012 (UTC)