Template talk:Iotw text/2013-45
Willem1 wrote: "Dutch translation: not entirely literal anymore, but since the storm was also in the Netherlands, I think it is better to also include that in the Dutch translation"
- Goedenavond Willem1! Thank you very much for your translation!
- Just to explain ... See my comment at Featured_image_proposals: "Someone a better idea instead of Northwest Germany? Northsea Coast of Netherlands and Germany?" I was not sure about the best description. I also did not want to make it that long. So I decided to describe only the part on which the map is centered - which is Northwest Germany.
- I also used no relative time description ("last week") because those featured images stay in our collection of featured images forever. Yes, each featured image is clearly related to one week, so using a relative time description is also fine. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 20:53, 4 November 2013 (UTC)
- And, of course, translations do not need to be literal, in my opinion. Also you could make changes to the English text if needed and seeming to be acceptable (some things may have been discussed on the proposals page before). --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 21:04, 4 November 2013 (UTC)
- Guten Abend Aseerel4c26 :-)
- As you can see in the history, I first did a literal translation. It was only after this, that I realized it was the same storm as we experienced last week. I added "last week" to emphasize that the recent storm is meant (as a replacement of the name Christian, that doesn't seem to be used at all here in the Netherlands). Since the date is also mentioned, I don't think it is really a problem for the archives, actually. But if you want me to change it, please just say so :-) --Willem1 (talk) 21:52, 4 November 2013 (UTC)
- The date should be sufficient to make clear that it is recent. ;-) Well, or not. I am fine with "last week", too! But I would just leave it as it is now. The image is meant for OSM than for the storm anyway.
- Regarding the Names: If you can read a bit German, have a look here: wikipedia:de:Orkan_Christian#Namen ("Diese Namen werden inzwischen informell auch in anderen Staaten Europas verwendet, mit Ausnahme des Vereinigten Königreiches und Skandinaviens."). So I thought the German names are most suitable for a international description. I am not sure if we should rather use the UK name in the English description. Hard, hard. Many pro and cons. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 13:27, 5 November 2013 (UTC)