UK 2019 Q1 Project: Food Hygiene Ratings
This project runs from Jan-Apr 2019.
User:SK53 suggests the following possibilities:
- Actively survey retail areas using FHRS data to substantially enrich survey data with addresses etc. (In particular using FHRS can reduce the time needed for an initial survey). GPX waypoint files can be downloaded using this tool
- Use unmapped FHRS postcodes to go where no-one has gone before. Outlying convenience stores in council estates, small parades of shops. Just a fleeting visit to such sites often helps get a better context for the whole area. (Ideally share photos etc., then others can learn this context too).
- Use FHRS to enrich existing data, adding additional detail to what is already mapped
the minimum requirement to link to the FHRS dataset is fhrs:id
- where an establishment has two ids use a semi-colon separator, e.g. fhrs:id 12345;12346
the tool encourages addition of addr:postcode
- postcode should be obtained/cross-referenced with fhrs data from a second source such as the establishment's web site
- fhrs and web sites could still include errors, but are in active use
Other address data
The FHRS data usually contains other details of the address. So this can be tagged with the appropriate addr:* tags. eg addr:housenumber, addr:housename, addr:street, addr:city
we agreed to not put transient data from the fhrs dataset into OSM, e.g. the star rating, although the OSM wiki mentions a tag.
- The FHRS/OSM comparison tool developed by gregrs is an open source project on github therefore you can raise issues or enhancements and people as well as gregrs can make improvements. We do not expect gregrs to do all the changes himself.
- GPX files can be downloaded from the FHRS/OSM comparison tool to assist with surveying
- We could semi-automate the process if someone wants to build on the code developed by Christian Ledermann for schools (We might even be very daring and completely automate it! That would certainly accelerate our completion of UK postcode data which according to Jerry's current estimate of completion will take 2-3 decades)
- The Food Standards Agency site has a Search for food hygiene ratings
The same subject was used in the 2016 Q4 UK Quarterly Project.