|landuse = forest|
|Forest. Sometimes considered to have restricted meaning "Managed woodland or woodland plantation".|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Managed woodland or woodland plantation.
There are major differences in the way this tag & natural=wood are used by some Openstreetmap users. Some use this tag for land primarily managed for timber production, others uses if for woodland that is in some way maintained by humans, some for any forest. This problem is explained in the page Forest.
How to map
- name=* - name of the forest
- operator=* - operator of the forest
- leaf_type=broadleaved/needleleaved/mixed - describes the type of leaves.
- leaf_cycle=deciduous/evergreen/mixed - describes the phenology of leaves.
- produce=* - Describes the type of produce
- species=* - The scientific name of the species of tree
- genus=* - The scientific name of the genus of tree - use where species varies or is unknown
wood=coniferous/deciduous/mixed- type of wood. This key is deprecated! type=deciduous/evergreen/shrubs/mixed- for reasons why type is not desirable, see type=*
If leaf_type=* is also set, this can be indicated by appropriate symbols for conifers, deciduous trees and mixed forests.
- When should we use landuse=forest rather than natural=wood? on help.openstreetmap.org
- Vegetation - summary of tags for various types of trees and plants
Possible Tagging Mistakesnatural=forest - If you know places with this tag, verify if it could be tagged with another tag. Automated edits are strongly discouraged unless you really know what you are doing!
Related OSM projects
Wiki for all environment and natural tags and projects Environmental_OSM