Environmental OSM is an attempt to provide OpenStreetMap tools to help tackle global warming, sustainable development and biodiversity. OpenStreetMap is proving to be an invaluable tool for a wide variety of projects & industries throughout the world and it also has the potential to help many environmental projects.
Please use the discussion page to suggest and discuss other data we might survey and other uses for the data.
Objectives of Environmental OSM
- Improve the tagging schema for environmental data
- Define a strategy for suveying and providing this data throughout the wide environmental sector
- Create specific maps for specialist environmental uses
Agreed Environmental Tagging
- Energy generators: power=generator (using generator:source=*, generator:method=* and generator:output=* to specify environmentally friendly technologies)
- Allotments: landuse=allotments
- Farms: landuse=farm
- Food markets: amenity=marketplace using sub-tags such as vegetables=yes
See Food security for related guidelines and ideas
- Railways (including underground, overground, tram, light rail, etc.)
Natural habitats / landuse
- Recommendations for tagging of protected areas is outlined here: Protected_Area_Rendering
- Tree mapping natural=tree
- Page for approved natural=* and landuse=* tags: Vegetation
- ITO map now shows access to Greenspace (parks, leisure facilities etc) see Green_space_access
- Medway greenspaces
- MassGis Layer Openspace
Environmental Features in Development
- Species/Genus names have been proposed in natural=tree but taxon=* has also been proposed.
- Vegetation coverage values for areas have been proposed at the bottom of taxon=*
- Plant communities (National Vegetation Classification) proposal outlined in plant_community=*
- Habitat mapping proposal based on the Phase One Habitat survey in the habitat=* page
- Tagging the regulation of living modified organisms (LMO) including genetically modified organisms (GMO) — in French organismes génétiquement modifiés (OGM).
Related OSM Initiatives
- Ramsar Wetland data source imports
- London allotments "import"
- OpenEcoMaps e.g. Foraging for food map
- Corine Land Cover Import
- Environmental OSM academic research at the National University of Maynooth
- OpenHabitatMap Edinburgh, Scotland (beta)
- Massachusetts State GIS import
- EEA:Nationally designated areas import
- WikiProject African National Parks and Reserves
- World Database On Protected Areas and the Protected Planet interface by UNEP
- UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
- The Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety, for regulating the usage of living modified organisms (LMO) including genetically modified organisms (GMO), and of other biotechnologies, and for developing the sustainable agriculture and food security for health and preservation of resources and biodiversity.
- European Environment Agency data and maps
- The Nature Conservancy Atlas of Global Conservation
- Mapping for change
- Carbon Offset Map
- Farming Concrete
- Forest Carbon Portal
- Renewables Map UK